Premed 101 Forums

Were you accepted last year?

Guest MayFlower1

Guest MayFlower1

For those of you who were accepted last year...would it be possible to describe:

1) What was the process for first-round interviews? I assume most people got an email indicating they had an offer...is this followed up by a phone call or is there paperwork to fill out? Once you accept, what else has to be done?

2) If you got from the "good" waitlist...how long did you have to wait to get an offer? What was the procedure? How long did you have to respond? What did you have to do? Once you accepted, was there anything else you had to do?

3) Did anybody get accepted from the "bad" waitlist last year that you know of? When were they offered a position?

Thank for you for any information you can provide.

Peter

Guest OU812

Greetings Dr. Hill (2007)

I believe that they will post acceptances here on the premed board since they have figured out it's probably the best place to find most of us ;)

Take care Peter, and relax, I'm sure you will get the good news soon!

Mark

Guest stargirl

are you red sweater guy from the mocks?

if you are, i couldn't remember your name but your hilariosity (is that even a word?) is unforgettable.

:rollin

Guest stargirl

ha! can you imagine - instead of putting a mailing address on your application, just writing, please contact me via the premed101 ezboard...i go by the handle of stargirl. thanks so much adcoms! :lol

p.s. OU812, the answer is actually 42 ;)

Guest UOMeds06

1) I got an email. It was sent out on May 31st. Hard copy documentation was sent priority and received the next business day. Subsequent acceptances (waitlist) were notified by phone and followed by the documentation. All subsequent information will indicate what more has to be done. There is a LOT of stuff to do once you're accepted...ie get proper vaccinations etc etc.

2) I can't answer this question but I believe that the good waitlisted people were notified as early as 1 or 2 weeks after May 31st.

3) There were a number of people accepted off the bad waitlist. They were notified around the beginning of July...but you can get a call as late as the first day of school. It has happened before.

Good luck!

UOMeds06

Guest martyb

I might not have been very clear in my last post, UOMeds06. You said that subsequent acceptances are sent out by phone, but on May31st, does everyone get an email, or just those with offers?

Thanks

Guest UOMeds06

Hi Martha,

On May 31st, only those getting offers of admission get the email. The others wait for the snail mail to arrive informing them of their standing (good wait list or bad). If you get an offer from the waitlist, then you'll likely get a call.

In other words, if it was anything like last year, if you get an email on the 31st of May from the UofO, it'll be a good one.

UOMeds06

Guest martyb

Thanks UOMedsO6!

To everyone, I just thought of something. Is it possible that we may find out one day earlier than they did last year ... :D I can't seem to find it now, but I thought I was told that we would get offers on the last business day in May. This year, that means May 30th. I can't imagine that they would send out the emails on a Saturday, but then again I hope they don't wait until June 2nd :( .

Anyone know which it will be? It may seem a bit silly, but after waiting since Oct 15th, knowing that we will find out a little bit sooner would be very encouraging!

marty

Guest MayFlower1

martyb...

I believe you're right...yooo hoooo...only 2.44444444499 months left instead of 2.54444444499... ;)

Hey, every little bit helps!

Peter

Guest MA2003

Hi all,

MartyB, at the info session they told us that the offers would be sent out May 30 (the protocol is the last working day of May -- last year that was the 31st, this year it's the 30th).

An additional point about the e-mails: in case people are expecting them, at the info session, Nicole Racine said that the decision to send out e-mails was made by the Dean last year to demonstrate good faith...it is not necessarily their policy, and whether or not they will do so this year is up in the air at the moment. Nicole Racine did mention that their server crashed after only about 15 e-mails were sent, and it led to mass chaos and hundreds of frantic phone calls by students. So I'm not holding my breath! :b

Guest MayFlower1

M2003,

I really hope they email this year...I think it was a nice touch...however, I do agree that the way it was done, given the anticipation and excitement of candidates, likely lead to a huge volume of calls, arguments, etc. I think they may have had more success (i.e., little or no extra workload) if they sent letters out to everyone via email. Or, better still, they could create a website with people's omsas numbers as identifiers...maybe on the OMSAS site itself...showing their initial status...that is, "offered", "good waitlist", or "bad waitlist."

Anyway, regardless of whether they do or they don't...one thing is for sure...it's out of our control and the first week of june will come soon...well, it will come anyway ;) Let's just hope we don't have to wait right through the summer on the waitlists :rolleyes

Peter

Archived