Premed 101 Forums

Francophone class

Guest Tal

Hi!

I heard a rumor that someone going to U of O (English program) told me, that many of her friends are in the French program, but do most of their classes in English anyway. I am and out of province applicant, and I am bilingual (well I graduated from French Immersion program) and I was wondering if maybe I would have a better chance of getting in if I applied to the french program, but then I could still do most classes in French (since I really don't know how confident I'd be doing everything in French.) I actually don't know how confident I'd be doing the interview in French for that matter, it's been a while, but I wanted to see if anyone could confirm or deny this rumor and let me know what you think of my idea?

Thanks! And good luck to everyone with interviews!

Guest camillefr

The french program is designed for the canadian francos (outside Quebec) who want to study in totally in french.

but ur right anglos from ontario use the FRANCO-ONTARIO GPA cutoff to get accepted.

Pls see my thread "anglo-ontario can apply as franco-ontario". we had a great informative discussion.

just like I know people in medicine who are from Toronto but apply as Ottawa resident. they put on their sketch, they go to school in toronto and show they come back home for summer for a summer job. but the french program will get harder and harder to get in because more and more people know about it.

Tal,

Remember your interview is in French. If its not up to par, then it may be difficult to get in. An an anglophone student, there are not many (maybe one student, on occasion) who come to our english classes. If you are in the french class, you still have to do your PBL and Physician's Skills Development in french, and if your are not comfortable with that, then it may be really hard on you, and your experience in medicine may suffer because of that.

If you truly are a great candidate then dont worry about what is easier. Apply to the program you want to be in, and take it from there. There are no shortcuts in this process, and if you try to make them, I bet that you will face the consequences later on.

Guest UOMeds05

I agree with V.

As i have eluded to in previous forums, if it appears as though people use the system as "a way in" it is very negatively looked upon. I know this for a fact! It could make your medical school experience a difficult one.

As V stated, there are components that you will be expected to complete in french (this may include your clerkship!). As well, in the second year class, like the first, there is not more than 1 "regular" francophone routinely attending the anglophone classes.

It sounds like the odds may be better in the francophone stream, but i think that that is a lot of perception... in the end it is about the same. I would take your chances with the program that you are more comfortable with.

Guest Laurent27

Hi Tal,

Please make sure that you can handle the french course cause the Deans of Admissions in conjuctions with both Medical Undergrad Deans will watch out for this type of swatting classes in following years. Since the Anglo classes are running out of room for themselves with all the Franco assisting their lectures.

I am sure that most of the anglo class of meds 2005 and 2006 could relate to this.

Like V mentionned PBL and Physician's Skills Development will be in french.

As well as UOMeds05 mentionned that clerkship will be done in french as well.

Laurent

Guest camillefr

tal I say go for it! I m sure you can do it!!!

the french program is constantly growing and greatly improving itself like laurent and the moderators explained. already i heard french program got a better preclinical pratical training program than the anglophones.

I really hope I get accepted this year. I cant wait to start!!!!

Guest camillefr

for ur convenience here are the french wgpa per french regional category interview 2003 cutoffs:

French wgpa cutoffs 2003

------------------------------------------------------------

Franco-ontario applicants-3.2

Programme national-3.4

Aylmer, Hull, Gatineau, Outaouais (Québec) -3.6

Québec-3.87

80-100 interview candidates in 2003 for 40 spots (30 normal, 10 programme

national)

Good Luck Tal!

Guest MayFlower1

Tal,

I strongly agree with V and UOMEDS05...I think particularly telling is the following from your post:

I actually don't know how confident I'd be doing the interview in French for that matter, it's been a while, but I wanted to see if anyone could confirm or deny this rumor and let me know what you think of my idea?

YOU know whether or not you are completely bilingual...I suspect from the above quote taken from your post that you aren't comfortable saying you are...

Remember, as V and UOMEDS05 indicated...you WILL have to do your entire interview in french...you will have to do PBL in french...and most of your classes will be in french.

I hope I'm not being too harsh...it's just somewhat annoying that people think there is an "easy way in". I'm fairly bilingual, but I wouldn't even consider applying to the franco program...well...because...french just isn't my first language...nor is it one I speak nearly as well as my first language. The franco program is, in theory...hopefully in practice as well...for francophones or those who are perfectly bilingual.

Just a thought.

Peter

Guest Biochem10

Tal, if you are sincerely interested in becoming a french physician, then you can also take steps to improve your bilingualism. I wouldn't be tempted to apply to this program just because of the lower grade requirements because you'll definetly embarass yourself in the interview if your french is not up to par. My suggestions are to do an exchange in Quebec (not Montreal), in one of the more remote areas or in France. If you were in immersion (as I was) I am sure this practice is all you would need.

Guest tutifruiti

First time I hear that rumor. Somebody has probably made up that rumor to see how this forum would react.

For people who intend to use the French program to get in and then attend the english lectures, be very careful... Primo you don't want to be accepted by error and actually attend your 4 next years of med school in French (because the faculty won't let you attend the english class... at least permanenty); Secundo you don't want to be blacklisted by the Admission office if you don't get in, lose a year and destroy your chance on your future attempt.

Nobody has yet been able to fool the admission office at my knowledge. I myself was taken for an English applicant because of my non-French name even though my whole application was written in French, attended all my life french schools and living in Quebec. This only single detail (my asian name) was enough to raise their suspicion and make them believe that I was an anglophone student disguised under a French application... imagine someone who can't speak French properly during his/her interview.

Anyways, just be true and careful. Wrong rumor.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your comments. Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this post.

After thinking about it a little more and reading all your posts, I'm just going to try and apply to as many schools English programs as I can, and see what happens.

I would be more comfortable doing med school and an interview in English, that's for sure. A lot of my family is actually French and from Quebec, so if i ever find the time to do so, emmersing myself in the wonderful french language wouldn't be so hard. Then i may feel more comfortable, But for now i think you are all quite right, i don't want to try and "trick" the system or anything. hopefully after i redo (:( ) my mcat this summer, and if all goes well, i can apply to a wider range of schools.

It's just kind of unfortunate (to me) that Ottawa considers me an OOP applicant (3rd priority or something) where as the other Ontario schools don't care.

Thanks again for all your posts!

Guest MayFlower1

Tal,

I think you have made a wise choice based on your own perception of your skills in french. This honesty and ability to both introspect and know your limits will facilitate you to become a great physician and will greatly aid you in life in general.

Peter

Guest camillefr

tal i thought i would share some important info i got from the admission office last week. they said people in french class can do their 3rd and 4th years in english if they want. ottawa u has no official policy on that for now, but maybe later...

another point you said you were out of province. i hope you are not from quebec. be careful cuz the 2003 GPA cutoff for quebec is 3.6 (aylmer-hull-gatineau) and 3.87 (rest of quebec) for the french class. so for example if you are applying from montreal, you will need a 3.87 gpa for french class. keep that in mind! good luck on your exams!

i will let u know if i get in may 31

Archived