Premed 101 Forums

Scrutinize my MCAT score!

seeking1

Overall 26Q, PS = 7, BS = 9, VR =10, WS = Q.

Thoughts anybody? :)

Are you by any chance a Maritime resident? If so, I think that'll play at Dal. You're allowed one 7 as long as the total is at least 24.

Otherwise, you will need to rewrite. On the bright side, you have a solid VR score, and VR tends to be one of the biggest headaches for most people taking the MCAT.

Good luck!

Overall 26Q, PS = 7, BS = 9, VR =10, WS = Q.

Thoughts anybody? :)

Unless you apply only to MAC and non MCAT schools (or maybe SASK) - you are SOL. Those are awful MCAT scores. Obviously the PS is crap - but even the BS is not good.

Oh yeah... I suppose UofT is not impossible...but the 7 in PS in not really compensated by high marks in the other sections.

Of course you knew this. But to set the record straight - the MCAT you have is crap - but several schools don't really look at the mcat that much.

What's that about?:confused:

Simple. My assumption was that the author wanted a comment about his PS score above all others. All I'm saying is that hoping to slide by with a low PS score (equal in my mind as someone without a firm grasp of the materials in physical sciences) won't make the problems go away, as you'll need that concept again during med school. So best to learn it properly now than finding yourself in a bigger hole later on.

You're almost there! If I were you I would write it again, study my butt off, and ace it. I've written that stupid test 5 1/2 times so believe me, I know feel your pain. Just keep at it and eventually you'll ace it. Good luck dude!

5 1/2 times?

yeah, I'm having a horrible luck with the 'cats... I think I'm gonna be giving up soon.

5 1/2 times?

yeah, I'm having a horrible luck with the 'cats... I think I'm gonna be giving up soon.

I did not submit one of my attempts for scoring so I only counted it as "1/2" an attempt. Don't give up! Trust me, you WILL ace it eventually just keep at it. The material in it isn't that hard, you just have to get used to the format and after 5 times...you get used to the format. I believe that almost anyone can ace the test if they write it 5 times like me :). Just depends on how badly you want it...

Simple. My assumption was that the author wanted a comment about his PS score above all others. All I'm saying is that hoping to slide by with a low PS score (equal in my mind as someone without a firm grasp of the materials in physical sciences) won't make the problems go away, as you'll need that concept again during med school. So best to learn it properly now than finding yourself in a bigger hole later on.

So...does neuroscience involve a lot of physics!? That scares me....

• 2 weeks later...
So...does neuroscience involve a lot of physics!? That scares me....
I'm wondering the same thing myself.. I have a neuroscience degree and studied all the physics needed for the MCAT, and I really don't see how ANY physics at all is needed for neuro.

I'm wondering the same thing myself.. I have a neuroscience degree and studied all the physics needed for the MCAT, and I really don't see how ANY physics at all is needed for neuro.

I don't think the person who said that realized that neuroscience is basically covered on the Bio section of the MCAT. :P Although that person is not technically wrong, diagnostic tests for neuro stuff has quite a bit of physics.

Regarding how I got the second score, I did the test twice in the summer. :D

UPDATE: ok, I have a 30Q now, lol. 10/10/10 Q. :D

with this score:

- you have a shot at Queen's, I would say 50/50, depends on what they set the writing sample cutoff at this year

- Western is pretty unlikely, but I guess still worth applying

- it is fine for UofT - now you need a solid gpa, essay, and letters

- it's okay for Mac, definitely have a shot, although you're going to need a very solid Casper and gpa

overall, much better and more rounded than your previous one... congrats

with this score:

- you have a shot at Queen's, I would say 50/50, depends on what they set the writing sample cutoff at this year

- Western is pretty unlikely, but I guess still worth applying

- it is fine for UofT - now you need a solid gpa, essay, and letters

- it's okay for Mac, definitely have a shot, although you're going to need a very solid Casper and gpa

overall, much better and more rounded than your previous one... congrats

Just wondering, does Queens require at least a 30 MCAT? Like it has never gottten down to say a 29, 9 for PS and 10/10 for the rest?

Archived