Premed 101 Forums

GradInterviews

Guest Cosmo0

Guest Kirsteen

Hola!

I'm one of the UT Epi folks; nice to "meet" you!

Hey, quick question for you: I was checking out the McGill site the other day as I'd been told that they offer a good pharmacoepi option; I came up with zippo. Is there something that I missed? Do you have a pharmacoepi option?

If you don't mind me asking, in what area is your thesis?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest wassabi101

Hey Kirsteen! Nice to meet you too! :D

A Pharmacoepi option?? LOL :rollin There are no options in the McGill Epi program per say except in choosing between Biostats or Epi but I imagine what they could have meant was that we have great pharmacoepi courses and profs...

The summer program hosts 4 intense 1-week long pharmacoepi courses with Dr. Samy Suissa and Dr. Jean -Francois Collet, some of leading researchers in this field. Dr. Suissa teaches a few other courses related to pharmacoepi and I imagine his whole unit out at the Royal Victoria Hospital could be considered the "pharmacoepi unit".

My thesis is in cardiology, specifically looking at physician prescribing habits in patients undergoing heart surgery. In sum, who's getting the appropriate medications, who's not and why...my first manuscript is a systematic review, my second is the descriptive analysis and the third is a predictor model... It's really a secondary analysis of a multicentre study I've been coordinating for the last 4 years (and all the data problems that go with it ;) ). I'm actually presenting some of the data at the American College of Cardiology Conference in Chicago next week!

How about yourself? What's your thesis on?

I'm also very curious on knowing (if it's not too personal for you), why medicine? Why not continue onto a PHD?

Anybody else out there in the research field made a decision to route over to the MD versus the PHD? If so, why?

Smiles,

-wassabi101

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there wassabi101,

Thanks for filling in some of the blanks regarding Pharmacoepi chez McGill. Sounds interesting. One of my pseudo-mentors recommended that I should consider taking some summer courses at McGill and these sound like great fits. I'll print off the brochure and take a closer look; thanks for the tip!

As to research, I wouldn't be surprised if I ran into you in a conference in the near future; albeit not Chicago. Have you submitted abstracts to any others? Might you be attending the CSEB in Halifax in June? On this end, I'm part of the UofT Cardiovasc. Sciences Collaborative Program, (one of the few Epi students there), studying factors for failure of radiosurgical treatment of arteriovenous malformations.

Your research sounds fab. Systematic reviews! Brilliant! Are you conducting a full-blown meta-analysis as well? (I'm in the midst of two at the moment, one smaller and one larger, the latter of which I'm just trying to register with the Stroke group of the Cochrane Collaboration.) Do you mind if I ask what your descriptive analysis is entailing? ...and on the predictor model, have you decided on your model type as yet? Multiple regression? My thesis surrounds naughty blood vessels in the brain, but I'm also a Research Assistant for an international health project in Africa. Through that, I've had a great set of opportunities to test the waters with respect to study and survey design, observational studies, etc., and my boss has been truly wonderful. Overall, it's hectic but well-rounded in terms of Epi. experience.

As to medicine versus PhD, I've been drawn to medicine for a wee while now. There's a whole host of reasons why I fancy being a physician. However, I'm enjoying my research so much and there's so much more in the Epi field that I'd like to learn and do that I will be applying to a number of MD/PhD programs both here and the US this year. The two fields dovetail wonderfully.

It's great to chat with another Epidite. :D

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest wassabi101

Hey Kirsteen! :D

Same- it's great to be asked so many interesting questions- especially since I LLLLLOOOOOOOve my research and LLLOVVVVVe talking about it......poor strangers on the bus ;) .... I've been practising what one prof always told me....if you can't explain your research to complete strangers who are not in your field, then you probably don't know it that well anyways :lol

With that said, I'd love to get chatting about my thesis and other epi topics, but maybe we should start a new topic, an epi one, so that others who might be interested in the graduate student posting won't be disappointed when they get to our messages ;)

I'll look into posting more info at the end of my work day but it might not be until tomorrow!

Summer registration starts today actually, and if you decide to take courses, I'll definately get to meet you, cause I'm thinking of taking a few myself and the department's pretty small :D

-wassabi101

Guest tappety tap

hehe! Well I was at the workshop and I spoke to a really cool gal who was applying to med who was in the mcgill epi program. I told her that I was applying to mcgill epi for the fall 2003...could this person be you? :P

Guest wassabi101

LOL (guess I should use some of those emoticons)...

:lol

small world! not to say I was that "really cool gal", but I *did* speak to a nice lady sitting behind me about the program! ;) So tappetytap, how did you identify me? ok ok I admit I'm new to the *use-a-funny-name-that-nobody-can-identify-you-at-for-these-kind-of-things* kind of thing 8o

I wonder if I'm the first to be *identified* on this site...

well glad to meet you a second time! :D

Archived