Premed 101 Forums

GradInterviews

Guest Cosmo0

Guest Cosmo0

I was told that the grad committee discussed this morning to confirm the publications and the decisions will be sent out by Mon or Tue.

hang on!

Guest goldchair19

Is anyone who is being considered as a "special program" graduate student (course-based as opposed to research-based program), heard back about interviews as yet?

Guest stallion001

Goldenchair:

I'm interested in knowing whether you recieved a letter from the adcom asking you to hand in your research productivity. I ask this because Kristeen, (who also has a course-based graduate degree) was assessed as an undergraduate student rather than a graduate student, as her graduate program wasn't research based. The courses that she took as an MBA student....(I forgot which program she was in) were used in her WGPA score.

TO ALL MSc. STUDENTS: If it's not too intrusive, would you please give us some insight as to your publication record. Since they will only be interviewing 35 of us, I'm interested to see how many MSc. students will be invited, since we have a smaller chance of publishing our work that PhD students.

Since they'll be sending the letters out by today (I believe) I guess we should hear by Friday or Monday latest for those who live out of province [it takes 5-7 days for regular mail to reach applicants in other provinces]

Good Luck, I'm sure this is a stressful time for everyone.

Guest ekimike

M.Sc.

2 first author publications (MCB and Oncogene)

2 posters at international conferences

1 oral presentation at international conference

Weighted undergraduate GPA = 3.8

Guest stallion001

MSc.

1 second author pub.

6 abstracts

GPA: 3.6

Just read the Ottawa applications booklet again. It says, that they will consider your autobiographical sketch, reference letter, letter from supervisor, and research productivity to select applicants for interview. Does this mean that if a person has a great record of publication yet some of the elements in the sketch are lacking that they may not receive an interview??/ I heard that there is a point system for the autobiographical sketch as well. I wonder if the same applies to the reference letters. Moderators: can you add some insight to this??

Guest goldchair19

Stallion,

I did receive a letter asking for research productivity but, given tha>: t I didn't feel it was appropriate, I then appealed to the admissions folks. So now my application is being reconsidered. And, you're right, I just spoke to someone again today, and I will be considered as an undergrad with the new WGPA now. I guess my application is going through the autobiographical sketch review now.

Guest martyb

Hi goldchair

I was wondering if you know when they're supposed to get back to you about an interview. My application is also currently undergoing the autobio review. I'm an undergrad applicant, but I was mistakenly rejected for not having three years full time. They said they'd made a mistake and would send my file on to reviewers. i thought Nicole had said that she would get back to me by the end of last week. I called yesterday morning and left a message, but still no word.

I thought they might have sent my file along with the grad ones, so I was curious if you have any concrete dates.

Thanks,

marty

Guest goldchair19

Martyb,

I asked for dates or some indication when I called today but the person I spoke with was annoyingly vague. I think Nicole was away from the office today so maybe she'll get back to you tomorrow?

Guest AliatUofT

i am in my second year MSc at UofT

my undergrand GPA about 3.3, my grad GPA 4.0

1-1st author canadian journal of Cardiology

2-1st author papers in preparationa

1-2nd author canadian journal of cardiology

2 middle author one in circulation and one in american journal of physiology.

1-3rd author in preparation

1 presentation at Merck Frosst National meeting in Ottawa

1 abstract at UofT cardiovascular research day.

Nothing international since my work are just getting completed.

Guest Bone Gal

I was wondering if any graduate-stream applicants have heard anything from Ottawa? I am getting antsy....

Does anyone know when the invites were sent? Thanks.

Bone Gal

Guest martyb

Hi Bone Gal

I emailed the office last night and got an email this morning saying that the thick envelope was sent out today. I'm not quite in the same category, but it might bode well for grads too.

This was my email:

"Just a short note to let you know that the Special Review Committee met to review your request and the first decision regarding your refusal was reversed.

An invitation letter for the interview was placed in the mail this morning ?Special Delivery?

I'm thinking of framing it!

:rollin

marty

Guest Cosmo0

I recieved the big envelope today in Tdot?? (in my time it used to be TO...cough...cough). April 17th, 3:30pm. Good luck to all those waiting.:rollin

Guest redgirl29

Way to go!!! That's great news.

Just out of curiosity, where in the T.dot are you located? I'm in the west end of the great city and didn't get any mail today. I'm hoping that's not bad news. Another weekend of waiting is going to make me crazy I think:eek

Congrats again and best of luck to everyone still waiting!

red

Guest Bone Gal

Congrats Cosmo0! Good luck on your interview.

I checked my mail but there was nothing in Thornhill. Maybe good things will come in time. At least we know the letters should be arriving shortly.

Bone Gal

Guest stallion001

Hi Guys,

I'm in the MTL. Just got my interview letter today. I was surprised that it got here today since they sent all the letters yesterday morning.....but it's likely because Ottawa is so close to Montreal and the fact that it's first class mail.

Good luck for those still waiting.

Got my interview invite today. The lovliest big brown envelope you ever saw...

This year I'm holding off on the bubbly though.

Good luck all.

Cheers,

Matt

I'm going to check the interview feedback thread now. I heard Peter had his today...

Guest MayFlower1

Matt....congratulations! :D I thought I read that you didn't get an interview this year! Go do it this year...I'm cheering for you!

Peter

Guest habra

Hi everyone,

Thankfully I have also been thrown a life line! it really feels like that as I have had many rejections this year. Looking forward to meet some of the people who are interviewing on April 17th.

If you are a gradstudent the interviews are still coming. I live in London.

Ciao

hello all

I an a grad applicant...got my letter for interview on April 17th (I am living in Victoria BC)...but I'm kinda in a weird situation. I got my acceptance letter to MUN on friday, and now I have a letter for an interview, and I'm not sure what to do??? I would be more than happy to go to MUN, and am pretty excited after spending the weekend planning the summer...moving home (to the east), etc.. I would have definitely gone to the interview if I hadn't heard from any schools yet, but now I'm wondering if I should go to the interview????

any help would be appreciated!!! I think both schools are pretty different...Nfld...a very small class (60 students) which is a definite plus for me...low tuition and living compared to Ottawa...lots of hands on very early in the curriculum....

Anyways, will have to think about it this week...

Cheers

Guest wassabi101

Same here! April 17th! Are all interviews on the 17th for grad students? I'm curious how many of you are Public Health/Epidemiology grad students? Good luck to everybody!

Archived