Premed 101 Forums

Interview or rejection letter

Guest Laurent27

Guest cause2003

Thanks for the info, I guess I'm one of those 150. I didn't realize there were so many applicants. Do you think a masters student with one 3rd author publication (in a pretty good journal) and 3 abstrasts stands a good chance for an interview. Plus my WGPA is 3.6ish.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kirsteen

Hi cause2003,

I was hoping to get around to asking Dr. Hebert some questions surrounding the evaluation of graduate productivity, but he spoke quite quickly and I wasn't quite able to wedge in the request! :) That leads to the conclusion that I have no idea how graduate productivity is assessed, although he did allude to the fact that duplicate abstracts, i.e., the same abstract sent to different conferences, would not count in the assessment. He also mentioned something about larger, more prominent conferences being a little more impressive than smaller venues, e.g., standing on a street and giving a talk (his example!). As to how that becomes translated into the assessment process, who knows?

There are also a number of other activities associated with graduate productivity and it would be interesting to know if Ottawa evaluates those, e.g., teaching and administrative roles within the university. Does anyone have any insights to offer?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest habra

Kirsteen,

I got an interview (via the graduate stream) last year.

I had one first author paper (journal was critical care medicine) and three second author papers (one at american journal respiratory and critical care medicine one at chest and one at biophysical and biochemical research communications). I also had 9 first author abstracts for the american thoracic society meetings from 98 to 2002.

But I am PHD applicant and I don't think my record is particularly impressive as here at western people usually have three to four first author papers when they graduate. I will have four hopefully when all my papers get published.

Hope that helped.

Guest cause2003

Hey Kirsteen,

Unfortunatly I don't have any info about the graduate assessment. I'm doing a masters at the U of Calgary and I feel that most graduate students in my position don't have a lot of publications to speak of. I've been to a few conferences and was fortunate to be at the "right place at the right time" to get my name on a paper. But I think that most students in our department have been to one conference and may have enough results to write up something as they near the end of their 2 years here. As for teaching I guess every school is different, we are pretty detached from the undergraduates, so the courses to TA are at the graduate level and maybe 1-2 out of 20 will get a teaching job (I know weird eh?).

I was freaked out by the old UofO system of having 10 points to get an interview, because on that scale I would only have 4-5 points. Maybe in a few weeks when we find out about interviews the successful ones can post their record so we can judge what it takes for an interview.

Good luck, cause

Guest Kirsteen

Hi guys,

Thanks for sharing your details. habra, that sounds like quite an impressive list of publications--well done!

cause, is it known whether Ottawa still uses the 10-point system for graduate applicants?

It would be a very helpful gesture if graduate applicants who successfully recieve an Ottawa interview could post a synopsis of their research productivity as habra has done. At least it may help to give the rest of us a little clue, as well as highlight some brilliant research productivity. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest habra

Guys,

if you are a masters student and have even one publication then you are quite productive and would probably be looked at quite favorably. I say this because the length of a masters program is much shorter than a PH.D. and if you have a publication (first author or otherwise) you are very productive.

sorry about the double posting above

Archived