Premed 101 Forums

Interview or rejection letter

Guest Laurent27

Guest Laurent27

It May not be over yet,

This is what the admissions office has mentioned to me on Friday, February 14th.

Wednesday, January 29th sent letters to graduate students to provide proof of productivity.

Friday, January 31st sent letters for interviews for undergraduate applicants.

Tuesday, February 11th sent rejection letters for marks.

Wednesday, February 12th sent rejection letters for graduate under 3.30 undergrad studies.

Thursday, February 13th sent rejections letters for graduate who did have 3.30 undergrad but not 85% final mark of grad studies.

Friday, February 14th sent rejection letters for applicants who went to second selection step (reading of the detailed sketch) but were not chosen for an interview.

Monday, February 17th will send rejection letters for prerequisites, not full course load, and citizenship.

Graduate applicants who were sent their letter will have till February 28th to submit their proof of productivity. One week after they will be notified if they are granted an interview or not. If an interview is granted, it will be scheduled on April 17th. It is the only day that graduate applicant will have for interviews.

When I ask the admission guy if more interviews are going to be sent. He mentioned to me that some files are still in review and if competitive, they will be invited as well.

So it might not be over yet!!!!!!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that sounds about right...I just got my rejection from Ottawa (dated February 18) , anyways...:rolleyes Still holdin' out for Mac and UofT!! (didn't apply to Queens and got rejected from UWO...damn 3.70 gpa!)

I don't know if anyone has any experience/advice on this matter, but I got a letter saying that I was rejected because I did not have the three year full time prerequisite. I do, though, and I have 10 courses/year. As I've said before, I was somewhat surprised when I didn't get an interview because I'm from Ottawa, have a GPA well above the Ottawa residents' cutoff and have awards, volunteer, etc. It is probably too late to be given an interview now, but that was quite a bit of money for a poor student to invest considering I was rejected based on an administrative error.

Does anyone know what I should do?

Thanks

marty

Guest Mala2003

Hey martyb, I think you should definitely give Ottawa a call and clear up this matter! It may turn out to be a slight confusion on their part - but you should certainly check it out - don't just forget about it. You've obviously invested a lot of time and effort into this application process and if you feel that you are correct then give them a call.

Also, out of curiosity, has the rejection letters for students who made it into the second round but didn't get an interview go out yet?

Guest UOMeds05

Hey Marty!!

Sorry about the bad luck you seem to be experiencing. But just like Mala said, if it is in fact some sort of error and you meet all the requirements I would definitely give Nicole a shout or send her an email. She is absolutely the most pleasant woman, and i am quite certain would rectify an errors they may have moved. Being that you are from Ottawa, you may offer to come in in person. I don't see any reason that they would not still grant you an interview at this point if it is an error on their part.

Best of luck to you.

CALL THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE RIGHT NOW!!! (do not pass go, do not collect $200)....administrative errors are NOT uncommon when you are dealing with that volume of applications...

At UWO, if you were rejected by accident you will be immediately re-instated....I imagine it would be the same at Ottawa...but the longer you wait, the harder it is to do!

Good luck!

Guest Nightrider

I made it to the second round and got the rejection letter yesterday. I am like martyb...lots of extracurriculars (worked in hospital, lifeguard, music, sports, tutoring, NSERC position, volunteer at camps and with refugee aid organization, etc.)....thought I had a good shot at an interview. I think I'm going to call the admissions office and ask what I need to change for next year (if I don't get in elsewhere).

Nightrider,

I am in the same position. I have a 3.96, lots of volunteer, overseas experience, leadership, awards and scholarships, etc... and made it to the second round and got rejected. I really don't know how I can improve my application. I emailed the assistant dean to ask how I might go about improving my application for next year and he said there is no way they can reread all the Autobios of people like me. I really thought I had an interview for sure!

MJS3

Guest kellyl20

My friend tried to find out from the admin. the scope on his rejection as well last year. He was not provided an answer or reason at all. He did not even receive a rejection letter, and when he called them about it, he was just told that he was not granted an interview. He requested a rejection letter from them, and after promising that they would do that he never received any letter from them.>: His stats were excellent with 3.9 and 4.0 GPA and lots of extracir. Happily for my friend he got multiply acceptances elsewhere.:D

So has anyone else not heard? I am hoping (cross my fingers) that no news means my application is under review, since I called the office a couple weeks ago to clarify my place of residence. Is anyone else still waiting?

And by the way, I have talked with MANY people who say that getting into Ottawa is an enigma--no one seems to know how exactly people with tons of experience, etc. still get shafted. I still think the secret of med school admissions may be that they throw all the applications up in the air and the first 400 to land. . .

Good luck!

BJ

Guest me maniac

I haven't heard either, but I am from BC and may not get the rejection letter as soon as some other provinces.... but like you said.... no news is good news!

Hi

Sorry I didn't thank you all right away, I've been running a student conference for the past few days. I emailed Denis at the office, and found out that they were not counting a course where my exam was deferred and a pass/fail course. I am now waiting to hear from Nicole. I don't know why I should be considered part-time simply because I took a pass/fail course (which was required for my program) and deferred an exam. It certainly did not mean that I did any less work.

I am sorry for all of you who did get rejections. I may well find out that they won't re-evaluate my file, and I'll be right there with you. Good luck at your other schools, and stay in touch. If we don't get in this year, we'll have to start planning for next year. I really appreciate the support, and I'll tell you how things turn out.

marty

Guest macdaddyeh

Marty:

That sounds highly discriminatory to me if they look at your pass/fail situation etc as part time. Even if it was part time who cares? Why are adcoms so anal about always having a full course load anyway?

Guest UOMeds06

Mac,

I agree with you. I don't think that it was fair to count the pass/fail course as not have taken the course at all. Especially since it was required for him to take it!!! I understand why they might have reservations about pass/fail courses in general though. For example, my friend is doing an entire semester in England right now. The University of Waterloo will give him pass/fail credit for the courses since they don't know how liberally he is being marked. As a result, his goal is to just pass his courses...which is probably what I would do being abroad with lots to do and see :) . So if someone were to take pass/fail courses with the intention of getting through a difficult class and not having it affect your GPA, then I could understand why the adcoms (or OMSAS as I believe that THEY are the ones that assign values to your courses) would have reservatoins about counting the courses.

As to why they are "anal" about the full course load, the same reasoning applies. In Marty's case, it sounds like the pass/fail course he took was not taken by the afore mentioned reasoning but, it's probably just a matter of simplicity. When you have thousands of aps to go through, one can't spend a few minutes going through each on individually. If OMSAS determines that you didn't have a full course load, then this is probably noted and measures are probably then taken to make cuts based on this. I don't think that it's a fool-proof method, as is illustrated in this case, but to compare the grades of someone who had a full course load and someone who only took half of that, wouldn't be right either. If I knew that I couldn't handle the pressure of taking a full course load and getting good grades, then I could potentially get around this problem by spreading out the work over a few more years. That wouldn't be fair to the others who took 10 courses a year and still managed to pull off decent grades. Furthermore, you don't have that option in med school, so they want to know that you can handle the added stress of med school. I imagine that for these reasons, they are looking for people with competitive grades and full course loads.

I certainly hope that things work out for you Marty....seems like you are one of the MANY people that run into problems with the selection for interview invites. It's a highly flawled system (don't remind me what happened to a whole bunch of my friends that applied to Mac and Western last year....a LOT of "disqualifications" got sent out....and it took a lot of phone calls and nasty letters to rectify some of them). The problem with OMSAS is that it assignes values to courses and spits out a total. If you don't have the minimum value of courses, then you're considered part time. I'm willing to bet that the pass/fail courses are not even given a score...I don't konw..but wouldnt be surprised. Best of luck and if you get an interview, let me know when it is. I might not be in class at the time.

Thanks for the support guys. The only consolation I have is that I saved my email from a supervisor at OMSAS who told me how to enter the two courses. I couldn't enter a grade for either course because there's no p/f option in the OMSAS form, and I won't have a mark in the course with the deferred exam until the spring. That means that on the OMSAS form, only 8 of my 10 courses had marks. If Ottawa thinks there's a problem, at least I can say that I cleared it with OMSAS. I still haven't heard back from Nicole, though.

marty

Okay, if I am still waiting is this a problem?

I tried calling admissions, but never seem to get through. I know they are probably super busy, and I don't want to seem annoying or intrusive--but this is important!

Any advice?

BJ

Thanks UOMeds05/06. I have called and emailed (and left messages) but I realize they are very busy at this time of year with calls from lots of students like me. Hopefully I will get some news soon, one way or the other. . .

BJ

Guest UOMeds05

sorry to hear that bj. Don't give up hope though, let it be drive for improving the app for next year. Perserverence (wish i could spell) is key! You will get there...

take care

Guest UOMeds06

Hey Bj,

UOMeds05 is right. In all reality, if you set your mind of medicine, your chances of getting in eventually are quite good. People often loose sight of that after a couple of tries. Don't give up hope. You'll get there soon enough!;)

Guest MayFlower1

bj,

I'm really sorry to hear you won't be getting an interview with UofO this year. While I can't say I know how you feel about not getting an interview I can say I know how it feels to be unsuccessful getting into med school. This is my second year applying...thankfully I got an interview this year, however, last year, after being completely confident I'd get in the first time...well...to put it simply...I didn't...and it felt really crappy. |I

One thing I'm thankful for is that I pulled my socks up...did some serious introspection with respect to my application and interview last year...it wasn't easy to be objective...it hurt...it took strength and time to realize it wasn't "their fault" and that getting an acceptance was totally up to me...and that I just plain screwed up in a number of areas during my interview...it was depressing...but yet, has enabled me to regroup and come back with a much stronger understanding of who "I" am, why I want to be in medicine, why I would be an asset to the profession given my background, experiences, etc...and my plan for giving it my best shot this year to maximize my chances of acceptance in what seems to feel sometimes like an unfeeling, subjective, process.

I urge you to do the same if you don't get in somewhere this year. Don't give up...do the hard ugly work of being completely truthful to yourself about your application and use your obvious intellect and drive to figure out what you need to do to be successful next year. After all, a few years are only really a dust speck in the grand scheme of things. Also, don't underestimate the value of having your application reviewed by a friend who is studying medicine, a co-applicant, people in this forum, your family doctor...I think you get the drift...these people are an invaluable source of feedback which most of us are incapable of realizing on our own...take advantage of it.

Peter

I read about some being rejected for not having 3 full years and apparently wrongfully accused.

I'm exactly in the same boat. I was in Co-op for 3 years and have only 2 full years during that. Then this year i switched back to regular so that i will have 3 full years by April. But they rejected me cuz they THOUGHT i was not going to have 3 full years.

I did call admission office, and yeah, a few times and ended up speaking with Nicole Racine. She was quite nice and she said she was going to talk to associate Dean about my case. However i haven't heard from her since I called this Monday. It would be really hurting if I won't even be considered.

COME ON! Ottawa!

Archived