Premed 101 Forums

Biomed & Kinesiology

I am planning on taking Kinesiology as a premed because it seems more fun than other science programs and involves a lot more anatomy. I'm just wondering if there is anyone here that is taking Kinesiology as premed and how they like it so far. I'm planning on taking the kine program at Waterloo (not co-op).

Also, what is the Biomed program like? (I've also been looking at the Biomed program at Guelph). I've heard that biomed involves a lot less anatomy and is more about plant and animal biology.

Which would you choose or have chosen as a premed/ major?

Thanks.

I am planning on taking Kinesiology as a premed because it seems more fun than other science programs and involves a lot more anatomy. I'm just wondering if there is anyone here that is taking Kinesiology as premed and how they like it so far. I'm planning on taking the kine program at Waterloo (not co-op).

Also, what is the Biomed program like? (I've also been looking at the Biomed program at Guelph). I've heard that biomed involves a lot less anatomy and is more about plant and animal biology.

Which would you choose or have chosen as a premed/ major?

Thanks.

I'm in kine at Waterloo. Well, I'm doing my Masters here but I pretty much know a whole ton about their undergrad program. Aside from being the best program in Canada and having leading researchers as professors, I don't think there's more to explain.

I finished my undergrad in kine at York University though. It was a blast. I didn't like the first year though. However, the 2nd year became interesting and then 3rd and 4th were a lot of fun.

If you have any specific questions about the Loo program though, you can PM me. :)

I did Kin at Windsor and loved it. The faculty there is amazing. Very nice, down to earth people. Same goes for the student body.

Really? When did you graduate if I may ask? :) I know quite a few people from Windsor kine. You can PM me if you don't want to post it publicly. Also, was Dave Andrews your prof? Haha.

Hi Twinbird 24! I'm in biomed at Guelph in my second year, and I LOVE it. First year is kind of general, as it is with most science programs (physics, bio, chem, calc), but it's a pretty cool program and it's got a really great and involved group of students.

At Guelph, you can choose either an animal or human focus. So when you take anatomy (in 3rd year- it's a full year course), you will be working on mammalian or human cadavers, depending on your choice of specialization. You don't have to do anything about plants, except maybe a bit in first year bio. The program is pretty much made up of people who want to be doctors or vets, which I find motivating and a nice supportive environment.

Of course I'm biased and think you should come to Guelph :) But if you have questions just PM me!

Hi Twinbird 24! I'm in biomed at Guelph in my second year, and I LOVE it. First year is kind of general, as it is with most science programs (physics, bio, chem, calc), but it's a pretty cool program and it's got a really great and involved group of students.

At Guelph, you can choose either an animal or human focus. So when you take anatomy (in 3rd year- it's a full year course), you will be working on mammalian or human cadavers, depending on your choice of specialization. You don't have to do anything about plants, except maybe a bit in first year bio. The program is pretty much made up of people who want to be doctors or vets, which I find motivating and a nice supportive environment.

Of course I'm biased and think you should come to Guelph :) But if you have questions just PM me!

Guelph has such a nice campus!!!! I'm kind of jealous. Haha

I'm also biased, and am going to say go to Guelph! :)

I did my undergrad there in Biomed, and I think it's an amazing program! There are a lot of similarities between Biomed and HK at Guelph, but HK is definitely more biomechanics focused, compared to Biomed, which allows you the option of mammalian vs human stream, and covers courses such as histology, epidemiology, pathology, etc. I'd say HK is a little less intense as there is more course selection freedom, but both programs offer a lot and are great!

Also, one important point to note, although other undergraduate programs use cadavers for anatomy, Guelph is one of the only schools in North America that actually allows undergrads the opportunity to have a dissection-based anatomy course (definitely a huge advantage for med school prep!)

Guelph is definitely my second choice. What are the similarities/ differences from the Kinesiology program at Waterloo and the one at Guelph? Is one better than the other? I would still receive a 4 year Honours B.Sc degree at the end of each program, right?

Can't speak for Waterloo, but definitely yes to the BSc honours for Guelph

FYI, from what I'm hearing, the kinesiology majors are now getting first dibs on the cadaver dissections, since the space is so limited! Biomed majors are now getting to do prosections....so basically, watching people dissect cadavers!

HK always had first dibs... just even more so now since they now have 2 separate anatomy courses - the dissection based one, and the prosection one. Either way, I still feel lucky that I had the opportunity to take the course!

Archived