Premed 101 Forums

Can't find a person to billet with for interview

Guest Namgalsip

Guest UOMeds06

Ah HA! There is only one student with the initials SU in the 2nd year class! Mystery solved! So UOMeds05, I've been meaning to tap into your expertise...do you know when the deadline is for summer electives for ROMP? I received a "tentative" acceptance from NOMEC but they won't tell me until April if I can do a rural elective with them, because priority goes to the residents. I'm thinking that I'd really like to go to St. Catherine's though (they've got a great dropzone).

Thanks

UOMeds06

Guest UOMeds05

Well, don't you all think that you've cracked the code! Sorry to burst your bubbles, but you missed again. :D I will give you that SU is in the "other" half... I am curious to know how/why you thought that Peter?:)

As for your questions UOMeds06, I am not too sure. I too have applied to both ROMP and NOMEC for separate electives. As for NOMEC, don't sweat it too much... they have to place their residents first but it traditionally has not left too much of a problem to place Stage I electives. The great north is vast!! As for ROMP, I just applied a couple of weeks ago without problem... I don't know if there is a deadline for electives (usually it is just first come first served). The only deadline would be for the Rural Medicine Week, but i don't think that they have finalized the preparations for that. Ashley Colter is the contact there... she is an absolute sweetheart and I am sure would be more than happy to answer any questions.

Can't wait for the block party!! It is SM's sister that works there... hopefully something sweet can be worked out. Good luck with Cardio... what a great block!

Guest UOMeds06

Damn, I thought I had you! >: Back to the drawing board then. Let's see, you COULD be KS or NR (Sil seems to think that you're one of them). But you COULD be SM? I know who could can't be...but that doesn't narrow it down that much. I could put you down as one of about 20 people....but I shall persist and figure out the mystery! Or maybe Ian will be so brash as to tell me who you are! hahaha

I really should be studying!!!! Psyched for the joint block party! But I can't get wasted cause I gotta be on a bus to MTL by 6am!!! (going to NYC for the break)

Guest UOMeds05

lol, hopefully Ian won't be so "brash";) ... I couldn't even think of who NR was... had to consult my list. But nope...

...anyway, good luck with the studies. It isn't a bad exam...

Guest MayFlower1

UOMeds05,

I thought I remembered interacting with you via email last year after the interviews. Were you not one of the presenters at the information session? Is that what you meant by SU being the "other" half? Were you the other presenter besides SU?

Peter

Guest MayFlower1

Ha ha ha...I may be old...but the old noggin' ain't too bad still...now all I have to do is clear the cobwebs out of my head to remember your initials...gotta run to work right now but...I'LL BE BACK...

Peter

Guest MayFlower1

UOmeds06...

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!!! Who da man?! What powers of deduction! I feel so rewarded! So what do I win???

Hmmmm...powers of deduction? Perhaps a little "flower" "may" have helped? I think I may be entitled to half of your winnings! :smokin

Perhaps a more appropriate response would be "what great team work"? ;)

Peter

Guest UOMeds06

Mayflower1,

Sorry to be a glory hog...you're right...teamwork!

UOMeds05 said:

Oh my goodness, you're kidding right? i have been on the site for 2 months now!!

Just kidding. I'll work on it...

So you can see why I am thrilled to finally know who you are! Especially after copying my user name! :lol

Guest MayFlower1

Hey J,

Listen...you definitely owe me on this one...be sure to put in a good work for me with the adcoms (just joking). Instead, you can just pay for drinks during frosh (just joking again). You're just lucky I wasn't your interviewer last year...cause I would have asked you about team work... ;)

I hope to see you on interview day...my interview is on the 14th of March...bight and early in the morning.

Peter

Guest UOMeds06

Mayflower1,

I'll be coming home from NYC that day....(or the day before) can't remember....it might be a little devoid of med students since the 1st and 2nd years have our break that week. I'll play it by ear though...there ought to be at least a few med students there who will come in just to keep you company.

UOMeds05, I'm flattered! Keep the compliments coming! haha 1.5 weeks remain!

Guest MayFlower1

Have a great trip J...it's unfortunate you won't be there, however, you've already done so much...thanks so much. I'll let you know how things go...or, at least, how I perceived them to have gone!

Peter

Guest MayFlower1

Thanks J.

I'm feeling really well prepared...I've even read the darn Romanow report in its entirety...and the Canada Health Act too! I was actually amazed at how readable, informative and complete the Romanow report was. What a great piece of work! It was so thorough that it kinda left me wondering if the bill for the research and report would have been sufficient to "save our medical system" in and of itself :P

Peter

Guest MayFlower1

Ha ha, you're funny...to put it simply...I wonder how much Mr. Romanow and members of the commission were paid to do this research...it's so thorough that I bet it cost a bundle.

Oh, and by the way...get a life man! :) Ooops, I better be careful...I might be there this year coming up!

Good luck on your exam J.

Peter

Guest MayFlower1

UOMeds05,

Are you serious when you said you didn't think the report was good? Did you read the entire document or only the exec summary? I must admit, I was quite skeptical prior to reading the report...after reading the exec summary I wasn't still overly impressed...but somewhat more as the primary areas of focus seemed to be current and relevant...however after reading some of the detailed sections...I was hooked. I found that the commission focussed on extremely relevant areas in surprising detail. Once I started reading a few sections...I couldn't put it down...after having read the entire darn thing I must admit there is a wealth of information contained within it. Sure, some of the recommendations are extremely valid...but stated in a manner in which the implementation complexities would be incredible...e.g., secure personal electronic medical records shared with whoever needs them, including the patient...amazing idea...but given the current state of IT and collaboration amongst health care professionals and institutions, it would be a huge national endeavour...

Anyway, I guess to sum it up, I found the report refreshingly informative and well done.

Peter

Archived