Premed 101 Forums

CCFP working in the US

leviathan

Hey guys

I know the regulations differ by state, but does anyone know if there are any states out there that allow you to practice medicine in the US without doing the USMLE exams, and that will accept the CCFP as equivalent to the ABFM without needing to do a 3rd year of residency?

Good question. I've been wondering about this as well. Are we able to do the USMLEs and then then pass the board exams and be licensed to practice in the states for life?

You could pass the board exams whenever you want obviously but doing the USMLE might be a good idea during medschool as you might forget all those minor details during the pre-clinical years.

I've looked into it and it seems like SOME states accept the LMCCs as equivalent to USMLE exams, so you can be licensed in the state. To get ABFM you need to have 3 years of postgrad training + CCFP OR you can do your 2 years of CCFP and then write the ABFM exams.

If any of the above is inaccurate please correct me, but that's how I think it works from my own research.

Archived