Premed 101 Forums

Fellowship in US- which USMLE steps needed??

Hi for someone interested in doing residency in Canada but fellowship in the US, are all USMLE steps required (for those schools that don't accept the LMCC)??

I've heard Step 1 is very impt for residency in the US, but is it also impt at the fellowship level? and Step 2? Step 3?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Step 1 is the only one written prior to residency applications (I'm glad that one is behind me and that I'm not applying to the US given my mere "passable" results). Steps 2 and 3 are approximate equivalents to the LMCCs 1 & 2, so, yes, necessary for a fellowship if the USMLE is required.

Step 1 is the only one written prior to residency applications (I'm glad that one is behind me and that I'm not applying to the US given my mere "passable" results). Steps 2 and 3 are approximate equivalents to the LMCCs 1 & 2, so, yes, necessary for a fellowship if the USMLE is required.

Nice..when did you write the step? How did you find the exam? I just wrote last week, so still waiting on my results.

By the way, Step 2 is usually written before residency applications too, although it isn't a requirement. You write it after your core medical rotations, so it's a bit different from the LMCC 1 which is written at the end of med school.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I guess what I'm confused about is Step 1 being a requirement for fellowships as well?? I realize step 2 and 3 are equivalents to the LMCCs but step 1 seems irrelevant. Would having just step 2 and 3 suffice for a US fellowship?

Thanks for the replies everyone! I guess what I'm confused about is Step 1 being a requirement for fellowships as well?? I realize step 2 and 3 are equivalents to the LMCCs but step 1 seems irrelevant. Would having just step 2 and 3 suffice for a US fellowship?

Your best bet would be to look at the websites for the fellowships you are interested in to check requirements. In general I would imagine if they require step 2 and 3, they would also require step 1. To get an MD license in the US you have to pass all 3 steps of their licensing exams, unless they are a state which accepts the LMCCs as equivalent.

I wrote it toward the end of August. Generally speaking I didn't find the exam too bad, just really, really long. Which it is. I completed all the questions but there were definitely a few that I ran out of time thinking about and had to guess. I passed with a decent safety margin, but it certainly wasn't a great result - not that it much matters.

I wrote it toward the end of August. Generally speaking I didn't find the exam too bad, just really, really long. Which it is. I completed all the questions but there were definitely a few that I ran out of time thinking about and had to guess. I passed with a decent safety margin, but it certainly wasn't a great result - not that it much matters.

I think as a Canadian med student they probably realize a lower score on the Step 1 doesn't reflect badly upon you since there isn't as much basic science instruction in Canadian schools, right? I personally found my step 1 was probably only 60% pure clinical scenarios, the other 40% was really basic science stuff like molecular bio, or maybe a clinically-based question that was ultimately still testing something related to genetics or biochemistry.

If a state requires the USMLE only, then you need all three steps of the USMLE. THis includes the two parts of step 2 (CS and CK).

I think Step I is the most challenging step. If you've been away from basic sciences for any length of time, you need to spend a significant amount of time studying I think to do well, or even to pass relatively comfortably.

Archived