Premed 101 Forums

About Volunteering/GPA

I'm currently in undergrad second year with a cGPA of 3.3 first year (not really impressive). I did a quick assessment even if I get 4.0 for the following two years I would still end up with at most a 3.7 Does that mean I'm out of the game or I would still have a chance? Im really anxious about this which I worked my ass off so far since school started.

In addition, ive been volunteering in a hospital consistently through out the summer and still doing it right now.

Im just wondering if it is neccessary to get into another position from another hospital or one is good on the resume?

I also work part-time in a dental office through out the summer but stopped since school started. Should I go back to work or just focus more on my school work? I dont really have difficulties financially since my parents have been very supportive.

Thanks for your advice!!

I'm currently in undergrad second year with a cGPA of 3.3 first year (not really impressive). I did a quick assessment even if I get 4.0 for the following two years I would still end up with at most a 3.7 Does that mean I'm out of the game or I would still have a chance? Im really anxious about this which I worked my ass off so far since school started.

In addition, ive been volunteering in a hospital consistently through out the summer and still doing it right now.

Im just wondering if it is neccessary to get into another position from another hospital or one is good on the resume?

I also work part-time in a dental office through out the summer but stopped since school started. Should I go back to work or just focus more on my school work? I dont really have difficulties financially since my parents have been very supportive.

Thanks for your advice!!

An overall 3.7 GPA is not very competitive for medical school in Ontario.

Having said that, there are a couple of schools which apply a weighting formula which you may benefit from. Western and Queens takes your 2 best years, and Ottawa takes into account each year when calculating your GPA. For Toronto, you are allowed to drop your two lowest course each year. These weighting formulas are contingent on you taking a full course load. Elsewhere, Dalhousie takes your two best years, and so does Calgary....

Your grades should be fine if you bust your ass the next two years. Don't give up already just because of your current average.

As for extracurriculars, don't worry about what looks good to others. It's all about quality, and what you get from the experience. If you enjoy working at the current hospital at which you volunteer at, stay, long term dedication to something is always better than something that is short lived.

Archived