Premed 101 Forums

Plan B - huh?

CREA.tive

To be honest, I haven't thought of a plan B yet, and I know that I really need to.

I know I should pick something that I really like, and that I should be able to have a future career in that field. The thing is that my biggest interest after medicine would be music. :P But hey, let's be realistic, there is no way I am going to have a career as a musician (and I'm not so good at teaching people).

Now, what would be a good idea in case I reapply for medicine?

- Stay in Quebec City and go into Pharmacy at Laval. (how is the IFG?) I think it sounds like a really good career plan if my second application doesn't lead me anywhere.:D

- McGill's Neuroscience program. (Are the jobs related to this field only about research?)

- McGill's Microbiology & Immunology program (is this mostly research?)

EDIT: I'm a CEGEP student

To be honest, I haven't thought of a plan B yet, and I know that I really need to.

I know I should pick something that I really like, and that I should be able to have a future career in that field. The thing is that my biggest interest after medicine would be music. :P But hey, let's be realistic, there is no way I am going to have a career as a musician (and I'm not so good at teaching people).

Now, what would be a good idea in case I reapply for medicine?

- Stay in Quebec City and go into Pharmacy at Laval. (how is the IFG?) I think it sounds like a really good career plan if my second application doesn't lead me anywhere.:D

- McGill's Neuroscience program. (Are the jobs related to this field only about research?)

- McGill's Microbiology & Immunology program (is this mostly research?)

Hey tu joues quoi comme instrument ?

Hey tu joues quoi comme instrument ?

I'm a microbiology & immunology student at McGill and it was my second choice (after medicine), when I cale out of CEGEP. It's a lot of biochemistry and molecular biology. The first year is not really focused on microbiology, but once a get to second year, you learn an awful lot and have a year long lab course. To be honest, I don't know what are the possibilities of having a decent job after the bachelor's degree, but I can assure you that it's the type of program where you need at least a master's degree if you don't want to be a research assistant for the rest of your life.

To sum up, there's nothing that keeps you from re-applying to med after your bachelor's. Achieving a good GPA is doable.

Hope this helps!

I'm a microbiology & immunology student at McGill and it was my second choice (after medicine), when I cale out of CEGEP. It's a lot of biochemistry and molecular biology. The first year is not really focused on microbiology, but once a get to second year, you learn an awful lot and have a year long lab course. To be honest, I don't know what are the possibilities of having a decent job after the bachelor's degree, but I can assure you that it's the type of program where you need at least a master's degree if you don't want to be a research assistant for the rest of your life.

To sum up, there's nothing that keeps you from re-applying to med after your bachelor's. Achieving a good GPA is doable.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for replying! From what I understand, if I hate doing labs in CEGEP, does it mean that I won't like this program? I mean, the material itself does seem interesting! What about the other students in your class? Do most of them want to reapply for medicine afterwards?

Thank you for replying! From what I understand, if I hate doing labs in CEGEP, does it mean that I won't like this program? I mean, the material itself does seem interesting! What about the other students in your class? Do most of them want to reapply for medicine afterwards?

Yup you're right! If you don't like doing labs, you'll find time very long. However, you do get to do molecular biology, immunology and medical microbiology assays (which is kinda fun). The downside is writing long lab reports every week. But yes, most of the student in microbio & immuno (80-85%) want to go into medicine, so there's a lot of competition lol. Some student do manage to switch to medicine after 1 year. Personally, I think that completing the program, will give you a strong base if you ever apply to medecine after that.

. Personally, I think that completing the program, will give you a strong base if you ever apply to medecine after that.

Oh yeah, in medicine the emphasis is really on the infections and their treatments, not on the bugs themselves. It truly helps to have a good background in microbiology.

Hey,

I'm in U1 Neuroscience at McGill, and I've got to say that the program is great so far. I'd highly recommend applying to it if you're interested in the way the nervous system functions, but don't apply just because it "sounds cool". There's a few people like that in my class, and I'm pretty sure they aren't enjoying it too much.

Do you mind telling me a little bit more about the program? I have to admit that it does sound cool and I'm very curious about the way the nervous system functions, but I have so little knowledge about that. In other words, almost everything sounds cool until you actually try it:p

That's true! Well there are three streams within it so you can choose which one you want out of Behavioural, Cellular and Molecular, or Neuronal Computational, so there's a lot of diversity. There aren't any neuro labs in first year (though we were trying to get some added!) But I guess this is good for you because you dislike labs. My only Lab this semester is Organic Chem. There's also the opportunity to do a nine-credit Research lab with a lot of amazing research in Neuroscience going on at the MNI (Montreal Neurological) in third or fourth year. It really depends on how much you want to learn about brains. How they work on the cellular level (how Neurons communicate with each other etc), how this is translated into behaviour, and all that stuff. If that sounds fun, then apply! :)

Archived