Premed 101 Forums

Masters vs. 2nd UG

Hello all,

I need some advice.

As of now, academically my stats are not where I would like them to be.

Overall GPA - 77%

Last 60 credits - 79.9%

With my marks - I know that another two years is necessary in order to become academically competitive - but I am unsure if:

1) Getting my Masters (I already have a supervisor if needed)

2) Take a 2nd UG degree - I am looking heavily into 2 year Accelerated Nursing at UBC

I know that when taking your Masters - you cannot get into Med until you've finished - but at this point - I would think in order to be invited to an interview - I need at least another 2 years?

I would like to hear your thoughts and reasons!

Hello all,

I need some advice.

Overall GPA - 77%

Last 60 credits - 79.9%

With my marks - I know that another two years is necessary in order to become academically competitive - but I am unsure if:

2) Take a 2nd UG degree - I am looking heavily into 2 year Accelerated Nursing at UBC

I know that when taking your Masters - you cannot get into Med until you've finished - but at this point - I would think in order to be invited to an interview - I need at least another 2 years?

The second undergrad is a great idea if you want to boost your GPA. Your Masters classes do not count towards your OMSAS GPA (unless the school has a policy regarding extra points for a completed graduate degree - like NOSM). And you can apply to medical schools while half-way through a Masters (but maybe not at every school?).

I think the second undergrad is the best choice as well, especially if you are missing any prerequisite classes. I just choose to go this route instead of the masters myself, big choice and i'm going to have to adjust for it but its going to provide me with many more med opportunities.

Also don't expect to be getting 85's across the board at UBC nursing..

Hello all,

I need some advice.

Overall GPA - 77%

Last 60 credits - 79.9%

I think you have a third choice. do a 2nd undergrad in something easy to boost up your GPA.

UBC doesn't really care for applicants with Masters (they even took less students with MSc last cycle). Nursing could be tough but it can provide you with a job, if medicine doesn't work out. However, depending who you get as your supervisor, you could have fantastic 2 years!

Hello there everyone,

Thanks for the posts and advice!

Rice wine - having taken my first UG in Human Kinetics - what would you recommend as an easy second UG degree? Something like a BA in psychology?

I am just thinking out loud :)

Thanks so much,

Jessica Rogers

I think you have a third choice. do a 2nd undergrad in something easy to boost up your GPA.

UBC doesn't really care for applicants with Masters (they even took less students with MSc last cycle). Nursing could be tough but it can provide you with a job, if medicine doesn't work out. However, depending who you get as your supervisor, you could have fantastic 2 years!

Archived