Premed 101 Forums

Family Medicine for an IMG

wildcard

Hey all,

This may seem like a lame question, but I don't know how else to word/ask it - How tough is it for a Cdn IMG to get a FM spot in Canada?

Credentials: med school in Eastern Europe; Cdn & U.K. clinical experiences (all core clerkships in UK); LoRs from Cdn and UK docs (that I've worked with closely, of course); very good basic sciences scores; step 1 score in low 80s; awaiting MCCEE results; writing step 2 CK soon; awaiting step 2 CS results.

Any thoughts? Experiences? Suggestions to buff up application?

Not easy but not impossible. When I did FM residency, there was a Hungarian grad (Cdn IMG). However, his skill/knowledge set lagged far behind the other Cdn IMGs (Irish and Aus for the most part). He finished the program though.

I suggest getting some core clinicals (FM) done in Canada. Other than that it's a lottery.

Hey moo,

Thanks for the info.

Its a little to late for me to do any cores, b/c I've finished all of them (in the UK) and I'm applying for the 2011 match. I am, however, going to be doing 12 wks of electives in Canada, but that'll be starting in March 2011.

Knowledge-wise - I think studying for the usmle steps has been a really good way for me to consolidate all the info (I've been using Toronto Notes as well, to try and keep abreast of the Cdn aspect of things). Plus, doing rotations in England has been really great to see how us IMGs compare to the Brit students here....and from all the feedback we get from the Consultants, we are pretty much at par (if not, more) with them.

I guess the key is to have a complete application and get it all in asap? Well, at least that's what I'm going to aim for.

Don't forget to study for teh LMCC!

Yes, of course, LMCCs are definitely in the books. I'm waiting on my result for the MCCEE and then I will begin the registration process for QE I.

Although, from reading abt the QEs on this forum I've got impression that the score you get on them is not terribly important as long as you pass. I'm assuming that this applies mostly to those who are already residents in Canada, vs say, an IMG who has yet to match?

Could you (or anyone else) shed some more light on the LMCCs?? I feel like there's more info abt the USMLEs out there, than the Cdn exams.

Step 1 score in the low 80s isn't really promising, but thankfully I don't think Canada cares much about your US exam scores. I have heard you must kill the MCCEE as many programs use it heavily for deciding who to offer interviews to, for example taking the top 20 people with the best MCCEE scores.

Thank you for all the feedback.

I have another question abt the Program listings on the CaRMS website: for programs that do not mention separate requirements for IMGs - does that mean they do not accept applications from IMGs at all b/c there are other sites offered by the same uni that do indicate a separate criteria for IMGs?

Archived