Premed 101 Forums

No backspace in CASPer??

"3) DO NOT HIT REFRESH OR THE BACKSPACE BUTTON AT ANY POINT DURING THE CASPer TEST"

Do you think they mean the actual backspace button on the key board, or the internet "previous page button"?

I use the backspace all the time while typing, it would be so hard to not be able to use that key!!

If indeed you couldn't use backspace during the actual typing sections of the test one would be in big trouble.Then again, with just five minutes to answer three hefty questions, do you really have time to backspace? lol

I am betting that a number of people are going to backspace and lose out on answering questions. Definitely worth being careful when doing the test!

I believe it will go one way or the other. All the ABS will be scored, or all the CASPers will be scored, no half-way.

Mm I was wondering about that actually. You're probably right - it won't be fair for some people to be marked on CASPer and some to be marked on the ABS.

But they do state that "in recognition of its first large scale usage, several back-up plans are in place. The absolute last of these back-up plans is to score the Autobiographical Submission instead of CASPer." I wonder what their other back-up plans are...

The test seems a little error-prone. I expect these little things to be fixed for next year, but I won't be surprised if a lot of ABS's are marked this year!

How is pressing the backspace button when not in a textbox and going back a page an error of CASPer? There is no way the developers can stop your browser from knowing that shortcut.

lol, you can definitely backspace in the text box. just dont do it randomly, or you'll load the previous page.

LOL. Ya, this makes sense. Text box - fine. Otherwise, no backspace button.

That would be awful to have CASPer not get scored because you accidentally hit the backspace button while a page was loading. For some reason I am all of a sudden worrying about these things, when in the past I have never been one to get stressed out over stupid little things like this.

Must relax!!! :)

But they do state that "in recognition of its first large scale usage, several back-up plans are in place. The absolute last of these back-up plans is to score the Autobiographical Submission instead of CASPer." I wonder what their other back-up plans are...

I wonder if they might be considering a re-write date for those who have serious issues the first time. Kinda nice to know that they have a few backup plans in place, if the don't use CASPer I'm toast!

How is pressing the backspace button when not in a textbox and going back a page an error of CASPer? There is no way the developers can stop your browser from knowing that shortcut.

Simple, open the text box for each question in a new mini-window which has no back/forward history of its own. Close and automatically submit when time is up. That's how WebCT discussion board posts are done.

You can use the backspace function as long as your cursor is within the textbox (this allows you to delete any thing you have already written) but if you hit backspace while your cursor is outside the textbox, this acts as the Back button and refreshes the page = big No No.

I wonder if they might be considering a re-write date for those who have serious issues the first time. Kinda nice to know that they have a few backup plans in place, if the don't use CASPer I'm toast!

What back-up plans do they have in place?

See post from above:

Archived