Premed 101 Forums

Converting percentages to 4.0 for DegGPA/SciGPA - how is it done?

daft_davy

Hey guys,

I sent an email to McGill asking how they convert percentage grades to the 4.0 scale. I got the following answer:

"Calculation of GPA - Usually you will be able to see what a percentage mark is compared to a 4.0 grade scheme by looking on the back of your transcript. What does your mark of 90 equal as a grade (A, B, C, etc.) that's at back of transcript. If A, then 4.0, if B then 3.0, if + then add 0.3, if - then subtract 0.3"

I think she made a mistake by saying A would be considered 4.0...because following the rest of her sentence, an A+ would be a 4.3! There seems to be a lot of confusion on this forum about how they convert percentages to the 4.0 scale - can anybody verify that what I was told is correct (ignoring the A=4.0 comment part)?

Does this conversion work regardless of which province I did my undergrad in (Ontario, for me)?

Thank you!

McGill's Point System

A+ *= 4.0

A = 4.0

A- = 3.7

B+ = 3.3

B = 3.0

B- = 2.7

C+ = 2.3

C = 2.0

C- *= 2.0

D+ *= 1.0

D = 1.0

D- *= 1.0

[Compiled from multiple sources. *=These grades are not used at McGill and are therefore rounded to the nearest grade]

And from my understanding, if you school does percentages, you need to check what your school considers an A, B, C... to then convert to points to then get a GPA

Archived