Premed 101 Forums

tayna/diencephalon/anyone!

Guest C

Have you guys reached the awards section?

It seems so blan

I listed that I was on the Honour roll for 5 years in high school (which means your on the Honour society)

however, ottawa wants 1) duration (easily put, I just put 5 years right?!) 2) Qualification -(nuff said, "maintain overall academic average 80% or above, in all high school years includin' OAC)

(btw, does the above seem to bland and blunt? )

What the heck do I put under Competition Involved though? I have no idea as to how many people got it, and its not like a competition or anything

if anyone can help me on this it'd be great!

I think, unlike the other Ontario applications, the Ottawa part is not supposed to be filled in a creative and mind-amusing manner. As stated in the OMSAS booklet on page 14, the want POINT FORM. Honestly, how can you not be bland when you have to conform to those expectations?

I did what you did, and simply stated what they wanted and maybe added a little flair on my own (such as an interesting opening line or maybe something like what I gained from the position).

When I did the awards section, I was like "what can I do here to make it interesting". The answer, was really, "nothing".

Don't fret too much. I think they want some Quality, Quantity and also be able to see the type of individual you are.

sounds good, but what about the "competition" pt..

for the dean' list, there realy isnt a competitions....and they gave 150 to describe competitons involved!! seems like a waste if I just put "n/a" aint' it?

Guest Tanya23

I did the very same thing, C. For competition, I suggest you simply state that "the award/honour was given to all students who had an academic average of 80%." That's a good, simple explanation. Good luck!! Tanya.

do you think its ok to use that excess space in the competition section to elaborate more on your award/accomplishment?

100 charcters is not enough to describe qualifications...even so qualifications dont really give the big picture/significance of the award/ accomplishment

what did others do?

Tanya, did you apply to Ottawa last year btw?

and v...where 'bouts in Markham are you? thornhill, vaughn? do you go to markham district high school? :)

toodles

I went to Milliken Mills High School (Kennedy and Denison area). What about you.... where you from?

Where did you do your undergrad?

In terms of filling up you application, I dont really see a problem with taking up the extra space to elaborate. Like I said in an earlier post, just make sure you answer all the questions they ask completely BEFORE elaborating and taking up that extra space.

Guest Tanya23

Hi C, I applied to Ottawa 2 years ago. This will be my second time. The first time I applied, I had a WGPA of 3.33 and was rejected w/out interview. But now that I've graduated, I've improved to almost 3.90 in my last 3 years. So maybe there's some hope....

About using up space in other columns, do you think the reader might get ticked that we put info in columns that it didn't belong in? It's tempting to use that space for something else rather than let it go to waste, but they might not be impressed.. I don't know. What do you guys think about that?

Guest diencephalon

I have that same problem too...

since they havent responded to any of my emails, I think I'll give them a call to see if thats appropriate...

for some awards, there's not much you can say for competition.......suppose I won the order of Canada - not true btw so calm down :) - there's really no competition as it is based on merit and contribution to Canada...however, you had to have accompished a lot in order to be considered for it....and you'd have a hard time fitting it in the "Qualifications" section (only 100 charct)..although you could jam in the rest in the "competition involved" section, I dunno if that would appear to the admissions that you didn't know how to follow instructions (somewhere on the page it says "faliure to comply w/ @(#*#@ will result in disqualification" or something like that...

Would calling be a good idea? I've got a crap load of questions I want to ask...and I've emailed them and received no response....do you think the person on the phone's gonna think Im a bit neurotic/psycho for emailing AND calling? haha....and to boot, my questions are a bit nitty gritty and picky...maybe I should call from a payphone so they can't trace my call! (ok, thats a bit overboard....what med school would actually trace an annoying caller and them blacklist them)

Diencephalon

Guest diencephalon

no problem...I think I need a new mouse!

miliken mills is a great school...went there for summer school once too.....(go to school in Thornhill)

kennedy and denison? is that near Fortino's and the Burger King where a girl was sadly shot on her B-day?

memories :P

Guest diencephalon

I hear you man...funny thing I was supposed to go to Shock that night too....but my car didn't start so I didn't end up going...

Diencephalon

Archived