Premed 101 Forums

Science requirement

Guest krish

Guest krish

Hi,

I am student at U of T and there have been changes made to the chemistry programs in which Organic chemsitry has now become a half-year course. This disqualifies many students who have to fulfil the 2/3 full-year requirement.

I was wondering is it possible to do a half-year course in the summer to fulfil the requirement if you get into Ottawa or is it a pre-requisitie for application?

Thanks

Guest krish

The problem is that I have left many messages in the Ottawa Medical Admissions office and even e-mail them many times, but have still not received a reply.

This is my situation:

I have taken a first-year general chemistry half-course with lab and a first-year organic course with lab. I have taken a second-year physical chemistry half-course and biochemistry half-course without lab. Last year as well, I took a second-year organic chemistry half-course with lab. (I should note that these changes took place after 1999-2000 academic year)

Ottawa did receive a notification from U of T regarding these changes in the chemistry course, but I am not sure of the status of the situation at this point. MMy only option would be to take a fourth-year biochemistry course in the fall/spring--but this would destroy my GPA.

I was hoping current medical students in Ottawa can inquire from the department regarding this problem.

Thanks once again.

Guest solution

It sounds to me like you have taken a full organic chemistry course (two halves). You could take half a chenistry course to complete the full year and you would have 2 out of 3.

Archived