Premed 101 Forums

Autobiographical Sketch

Guest rs81

Guest rs81

I don't have any research experience and I know that's a question asked on the auto/b sketch. Will that severely hinder my chances of being accepted at Ottawa?

Guest U of O med

I wouldn't worry too much about research experience, unless of course you don't have much else in the way of extracurricular activities. We have people in the class this year that don't even have degrees, and have never set foot in a lab (not that all research is done in the lab!!). It's all about balance. If you don't have certain experiences, then you should probably have others (and I'm sure you do).

Good luck!

• 1 month later...
Guest Tanya23

Is it wise to relate all of your experiences back to your desire to enter medicine? Or is this overkill and they'll think you're obsessed? Also, how much volunteer experience does the average successful applicant have behind them? 200 hours? 500? Any thoughts from the moderator/members would be greatly appreciated!

Guest JSS02

Honestly, there's not nearly enough space to tie in every single activity to your interest in medicine. I would just answer the questions as they are asked (sometimes they tell you to list the benefits you derived from the activity, etc.). But for the most part, your submission will be more of a list with brief descriptions rather than an essay.

They don't ask for the number of hours you volunteered on the application, and are unlikely to do so in the interview. I don't think it helps too much to list the amount, anyway.

Without research, Ottawa is a far stretch. I believe (IS THIS TRUE) that most successful applicants have some sort of research. If you dont, it is true, that you need to have other stellar sections to boost up the quality of you app.

Did any of you get interviews without research? How many of you did?

V

Guest JSS02

Everything is done online through the OMSAS website. The application should be open starting next week. I think the character limit is around 1000-500 characters for each section (can't remember the exact number).

Guest Tanya23

JSS02, thanks for the reply. The limit was 1500 characters per section last year. And you do have to report your number of hours, according to the OMSAS book (Ottawa section). I'm not sure if they use that in assessing your application, but they do ask for the time spent in both volunteer and extracurricular activities.

Guest JSS02

Sorry tanya, it's been a really long time since I completed my app. My mistake. :) I put down the number of hours per week I spent, rather than the total number of hours accumulated. But I don't think that's a big deal.

Anyways, I'll let all the U of O students answer any further questions. I spend way too much time reading this forum considering I was essentially rejected post-interview by Ottawa. :)

Good luck!

Guest Tanya23

Hi bmw, I still have the COMA program saved on my computer. The 1500 limit includes spaces. Every blank line costs you 1 character. Doesn't leave you too much space to really sell yourself, does it? These are the hoops we must jump through! Good luck if you're applying this year.

Guest Tanya23

Hi JS002,

I totally hear you! I am starting to spend every free moment obsessing about how to get into med school. It's nice to know that others spend as much time reading this forum as I do! I was rejected by Ottawa once and have been working on my autobio sketch on and off since then. If you were good enough to get an interview, that's a huge accomplishment right there. Good luck!!

Guest JSS02

Hi,

I was accepted by Western and Queen's, and will be attending UWO this fall. So yes, I am part of the Meds class of 2006, just not at Ottawa. :)

I was "bad waitlisted" by Ottawa, so the chances of me getting in were extremely slim. It probably would have had to be in August, if it happened at all. I withdrew my name from the Ottawa waitlist after getting into Western. But even if I didn't, OMSAS would have done it for me on July 3rd, when provisional acceptances become final. Best of luck!

Archived