Premed 101 Forums

English...

r201

Hi everybody,

I know this is not the first time that I ask this question, but it's actually making me very anxious. I'm actually studying at a french cegep, and I've done all my studies in french, so I'm wondering about switching to english if I ever get accepted at McGill; and since I really want to go to mcgill, I would like to know if you think it's necessary to take an english course or something to improve my oral fluency if I get accepted. I would rather rate myself "not bad - good" in english.

So "francophone people" who study medicine now at mcgill, don't hesitate to share your story, how did you find this transition? Did you find it hard to have good grades or does the language level affect anyhow your marks (at the beginning maybe)? Do francophone students have difficulty with integration?...

You should ideally have a working knowledge of english. But you would need a very similar level of english even if you were to study medicine at any of the francophone universities since many of references used are in english. You also need to know english if you want to stay uptodate (pun intended) in medicine, no matter what language you study in.

You should not worry about your English skills. During your premed, you will speak in French the vast majority of the time. Why ? Only because francophones form the majority of premed's cohort and since you'll be with francophones all the time, you'll speak French. However, you will improve your skills in Shakespear's language very fast. All you'll learn (mostly) will be taught in English. So, you won't have the choice but to read about it in English, to listen to it in English and to discuss about it in English.

You have the chance to choose French classes for your humanity courses if you are affraid of essays like I am. You have the right to write all graded material in French.

Here a link for medp classes : http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/programs/med-p/curriculum

For the science material, it's all new stuff (for the majority) and you'll learn the vocabulary in class.

If you have the chance and the time to undertake English courses, do it, if you don't, it's no big deal. You'll do just fine ! :rolleyes:

Archived