Premed 101 Forums

Not sure what way to take

Hi!

I read past posts concerning taking a nursing course and then applying to medicine. I also read the admission requirements of medicals schools here in Ontario to get some answers. I'm still left with questions:confused:

Background: I took 2 years of nursing school in my country.

I am planning on taking the same course here in Canada (I'm a permanent resident now). I'm not sure on what to take. Should I go for accelerated or compressed nursing programs at York, U of T or Trent; or take the regular 4 year nursing courses at Trent, UWO, York etc. I believe that the compressed programs might limit me when I apply to medical schools. Some might not take pass of fail courses? Some have prerequisites which I may not be able to fulfill due to the nursing program structure. Last, I don't know how these medical schools will look at the courses taken during summer)

I am still getting familiar with schools here.

I hope anyone can help me. If you are in the same boat as I am, if you are planning on taking the route RN to MD, or have done this route and now currently applying, I need some insights and help.

I would avoid Pass/Fail courses if you want to apply for MD.

Some schools consider summer school annd some schools don't. It totally depends on what school you will apply for.

You may not have chemistry courses with lab or arts courses in the prereq course list for some schools, but if you have taken them in your country maybe you can ask WES to verify your transcript and use them.

thanks for the heads up!

I have another question and anyone feel free to answer.

This would definitely make me seem really stupid but I'd ask anyway. I've only been here in Canada a little less than 6 months and still learning about many things. I visited every sites in every medical school here in Ontario and read their requirements. Most require 120 credits, a few 90, some require you at least be in your 3rd year of UG study so you can apply and so on. I'm still clueless. My plan is to finish my nursing degree from a fast track nursing course at maybe York (after graduation only 90 credits here) or Trent (120 credits here after graduation), even though I only have 2 years or 2 1/2 years of study here in Canada, can I still apply to U of T, Queen's, U of Ottawa and others GRANTED I meet their required number of needed credits and prerequisites?

Since it's fast track and I would be able to finish my degree in 2 or 2 1/2 years, would the length I finished it not matter because I graduated already?

I need some help......... so so so clueless in this regard.

Archived