Premed 101 Forums

Dilemma

Cappuccino

Hey all, I hope someone gives me proper feedback for my question- I'm going to be making a life changing decision soon.

So I just finished my undergrad at UofT- specialized in physiology and finished with a crap low GPA. A bunch of hospital/research related extracurriculars, nothing out of the ordinary. Now, I'm thinking of doing another undergrad- one that I can transfer at least half my credits (looking at 2 years for another undergrad). I'm thinking of a psychology undergrad at Mcgill or a health science degree at UWO (this degree would be for high marks- not too interested). My dilemma here, after doing a ton of research are as follows..

1) Will McGill look at my new undergrad only?

2) I'm planning on leasing a place there in January, study french part-time and then continue will full time psychology in September-April for two years. My question here is, will my 8 month part time residence (January 2011- August 2011) be added to the summer I'll live in Montreal for the 2011 year? IE April-September 2011 (another 4 months). In total I'll be there for 12 months, but there would be a break between an 8month part time stay and a 4 month part time stay. Do the rules state that the resident must be a 12 month consecutive? If so, are there other ways of getting around this?

3) I'm interested in McGill for many reasons, one I love the city and two I love the school. Half the reason I'd like to be a resident is because it opens more doors at McGills med school, the other half is that.. I like the city. However, will applying for Quebec residency erase my Ontario residency? AKA my chances of applying to western and mac are gone?

4) If you guys have any stories on how your friends applied for residency during their studies, please chime in. I'm in desperate need of some guidance.

5) Anyone have any experiences with the psychology courses at McGill?

Thanks sooo much for the help guys, really appreciate it.

2) I'm planning on leasing a place there in January, study french part-time and then continue will full time psychology in September-April for two years. My question here is, will my 8 month part time residence (January 2011- August 2011) be added to the summer I'll live in Montreal for the 2011 year? IE April-September 2011 (another 4 months). In total I'll be there for 12 months, but there would be a break between an 8month part time stay and a 4 month part time stay. Do the rules state that the resident must be a 12 month consecutive? If so, are there other ways of getting around this?

You will be a fulltime student from Ontario, an OOP studying in Montreal, who visited Montreal for awhile. And you won't accomplish your intended goal of achieving IP status for med school. You can that the powers that be by email.

I guess If I wanted IP status then I'd have to live in MTL for 1 year after my 2 year undergrad- just lounging around..

Will I lose my ontario resident status if I'm a Quebec resident?

Well, you could get a job, do volunteering, be a part time student. Be sure to open a bank a/c with a Montreal address, apply for medicare, Quebec driver's licence.

Quebec is not interested in how another province might view you. I don't know what the view of OMSAS woud be.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, you could get a job, do volunteering, be a part time student. Be sure to open a bank a/c with a Montreal address, apply for medicare, Quebec driver's licence.

Quebec is not interested in how another province might view you. I don't know what the view of OMSAS woud be.

Just sick how one could do summersaults to get into medschool.....just go with your passion what you love and you will be happy in life - medecine or not.

1) Will McGill look at my new undergrad only?

They look at whichever has the highest grades, you need a minimum of 45 credits I think on your second degree to be eligible to apply.

Ever heard of lying?

3) However, will applying for Quebec residency erase my Ontario residency? AKA my chances of applying to western and mac are gone?

Your more likely to win the 649 everytime you play than be ineligible to apply in Ontario schools if you switch residential status. Ontario is the only province in Canada where med schools don't restrict seats to out of province students. A student from Quebec has the same odds of being admitted to McMasters or UWO as an Ontario student, however, it doesnt hold true the other way around. So there is benefits to being a resident of Quebec, you can apply to the 4 med schools in Quebec plus the ones in Ontario.

4) If you guys have any stories on how your friends applied for residency during their studies, please chime in. I'm in desperate need of some guidance.

Can't help you here unfortunately.

5) Anyone have any experiences with the psychology courses at McGill?

Its like any program, it depends on who teaching. Can't comment on it, but I'd imagine its simple because psychology is mostly theory based.

Archived