Premed 101 Forums

Need some help about my futur in undergrad.

WorkStudyWork

I know that these days everyone is talking about application, but I'm going to ask something completely unrelated. I want to talk about undergrad. Please? Can we talk about undergrad? :s

1) How much does it cost for a Quebec student to get into a residence for, say, one year.This should take in account food, housing, tuition and everything else. 10k? 15k? 20k? Consider I'm going in something like Microbio or Biochem.

2)If you do not get picked for medicine, what kind of work opportunities does a 3 year undergrad in, say, microbio/immuno offer you? What kind of pay? I don't want to spend the rest of my life doing research for 15k a year.

Any help is very much welcome.

Thank you!

I know that these days everyone is talking about application, but I'm going to ask something completely unrelated. I want to talk about undergrad. Please? Can we talk about undergrad? :s

1) How much does it cost for a Quebec student to get into a residence for, say, one year.This should take in account food, housing, tuition and everything else. 10k? 15k? 20k? Consider I'm going in something like Microbio or Biochem.

2)If you do not get picked for medicine, what kind of work opportunities does a 3 year undergrad in, say, microbio/immuno offer you? What kind of pay? I don't want to spend the rest of my life doing research for 15k a year.

Any help is very much welcome.

Thank you!

1) between 10-15k and a piece of your soul

2) very likely to end up washing glassware, injecting stuff into rats, or hording hundreds of dishes of various yeasts, bacteria, bugs..

You should do what you want and love to do. Even if you don't have a passion for something, that's okay. You definitely do not have to take biochem/immunology to get into medical school in Canada. Don't plan for the future with total disregard for the present - pursue your present interests.

You should do what you want and love to do. Even if you don't have a passion for something, that's okay. You definitely do not have to take biochem/immunology to get into medical school in Canada. Don't plan for the future with total disregard for the present - pursue your present interests.

This is great advice for everyone!

Are you talking about McGill for undergrad? If so, I can offer a few pointers.

Biochem is pretty insane in difficulty and is a big time hog. Physiology (and immuno) deparment is better in my opinion - very organized, structured and fair. I suggest you come down to McGill and visit the campus and inquire about the different programs.

Rez costs - you can look it up on mcgill's website. Its 8500 minimum to like 12000 for 2 semesters. If you know montreal, live off campus. Rez can be difficult sometimes. And you save a ton! Average rent in the ghetto is like 525 a month rather than 1150 per month for rez.

If you don't get selected for med, there's LOTS you can do. Lots of very interesting careers out there. Sometimes I wish I had given myself more time to explore all these fields I didn't previously know about before I committed.

For now, follow your interests - it'll lead you to something you'll like and enjoy waking up every morning to study. Usually people who force themselves to study something just because they believe it looks better on an application, they usually perform poorly and end up switching majors anyways. (and you won't be spoon feeding mice, yeast, E. Coli, fruit flies and C. elegans for 15K a year).

Are you talking about McGill for undergrad? If so, I can offer a few pointers.

Biochem is pretty insane in difficulty and is a big time hog. Physiology (and immuno) deparment is better in my opinion - very organized, structured and fair. I suggest you come down to McGill and visit the campus and inquire about the different programs.

Rez costs - you can look it up on mcgill's website. Its 8500 minimum to like 12000 for 2 semesters. If you know montreal, live off campus. Rez can be difficult sometimes. And you save a ton! Average rent in the ghetto is like 525 a month rather than 1150 per month for rez.

If you don't get selected for med, there's LOTS you can do. Lots of very interesting careers out there. Sometimes I wish I had given myself more time to explore all these fields I didn't previously know about before I committed.

For now, follow your interests - it'll lead you to something you'll like and enjoy waking up every morning to study. Usually people who force themselves to study something just because they believe it looks better on an application, they usually perform poorly and end up switching majors anyways. (and you won't be spoon feeding mice, yeast, E. Coli, fruit flies and C. elegans for 15K a year).

That is actually pretty useful. Thank you very much.

Don't get me wrong though. I love science, especially biology and chemistry. I'm not just trying to apply to a cool program. I just wanted to make sure that I had other significant options than medicine.

Archived