Premed 101 Forums

Getting the cadaver smell off of clothes?

Hey guys,

My lab coat for anatomy dissection has gotten pretty messy, and when I wore it over my clothes, my clothes started smelling like cadaver. (well, I trashed that lab coat now so I don't have to worry about it affecting more clothes)

I have tried washing the clothes with lots of detergent and using lots of fragrance sheets when drying them, but I still smell it!

Any tips for getting rid of that smell (other than throwing the affected clothes away)?

Thanks

Hey guys,

My lab coat for anatomy dissection has gotten pretty messy, and when I wore it over my clothes, my clothes started smelling like cadaver. (well, I trashed that lab coat now so I don't have to worry about it affecting more clothes)

I have tried washing the clothes with lots of detergent and using lots of fragrance sheets when drying them, but I still smell it!

Any tips for getting rid of that smell (other than throwing the affected clothes away)?

Thanks

lol, you were never supposed to wear clothes you wanted to keep into the cadaver lab!! I'd suggest burning them after Gross anatomy was all over :D

I worked in an anatomy lab. This method comes from the lady pathologist:

1) Wash right away. Leave 'em sit in your locker for days, the smell polymerizes in the fabric.

2) Wash warm (not hot) with usual laundry detergent and some added baking soda. This is key. (I used a golf-ball sized fragment of a avobath lush bath bomb, which is mostly baking soda, but depending on your sex you may not want to smell like bath bomb).

3) If that doesn't work first time, run the clothes through a wash with no soap, MORE baking soda.

4) Don't bleach (e.g. your lab coat). God help you if you bleach.

I worked in an anatomy lab. This method comes from the lady pathologist:

1) Wash right away. Leave 'em sit in your locker for days, the smell polymerizes in the fabric.

2) Wash warm (not hot) with usual laundry detergent and some added baking soda. This is key. (I used a golf-ball sized fragment of a avobath lush bath bomb, which is mostly baking soda, but depending on your sex you may not want to smell like bath bomb).

3) If that doesn't work first time, run the clothes through a wash with no soap, MORE baking soda.

4) Don't bleach (e.g. your lab coat). God help you if you bleach.

Why not bleach? :confused: Isn't bleach supposed to kill germs?

Archived