Premed 101 Forums

Ottawa U Financial Aid - OSAP

Guest PeterHill0501

Guest PeterHill0501

Ottawa U applicants,

When I filled out the OSAP on-line application the "estimated amount" came out to $0.00 due to my financial situation, as defined by the application. I realized that the application form doesn't take into account (1) my expenses or (2) the fact that I will be leaving a career to go back to school while my expenses will essentially remain unchanged. If one takes into account this larger picture, it is clear that I will be in significant financial need this coming academic year if I was to be offered and accept a position.

I called the financial aid department at Ottawa U and gave them a brief description of my situation...they strongly recommended that I write an e-mail to them with supporting financial analyses and they indicated they would take these data into account when determining my eligibility for OSAP. I strongly suggest that anybody who believes they are getting less OSAP funding than they really deserve should get in contact with the Financial Aid and Awards department at Ottawa U...their e-mail address is:

finaid@uottawa.ca

I hope you find this useful...if anybody is interested I would be more than happy to post the outcome my appeal once it is resolved.

Peter

Peter,

That would be great if you could let us know how that works out. I think I'm in the same boat - very little OSAP - with a 1 income family that supports 3 kids and med school. I may have to send them out with little tin cups to beg.

Guest PeterHill0501

mn,

I also have two girls, single parent family (children from first marriage)...the financial aid system is particularly hard on people like us in that we have no choice but to have income to support our families but expenses often equal or exceed that which is income! As mentioned above, I applied to OSAP this year...unfortunately I grossed 170K last year...and yes, I paid a wack of taxes too...I think the computer just about laughed at me when I scrolled down to see what my OSAP estimate was...obviously I wasn't exaggerating...it was $0.00...I'm just lucky it didn't tell me I had to pay OSAP money!

The only problem with this calculation is that it assumes you have very little or no expenses (i.e., expenses that could easily be taken care of by a part-time job during the year with full-time summer work between school years). The mature student leaving a full-time career to return to school is likely fairly rare...so obviously this isn't anybody's fault nor is it intentionally biased...and fortunately, there are processes in place to help appeal such decisions. I'll definitely let you know how things turn out.

Are you attending Ottawa U? I'd love to have a chat about what it's like being a parent going through med school. If you are a current student, is there any chance I talked to you prior to my interview at Ottawa this year?

Peter

P.S. Perhaps if we get your three kids and my two kids together we could cover tin-cupping territory more efficiently!

Guest Liana

OSAP, I believe, is the pinnacle of government simplicity leading to stupidity.

One summer, I made $4000. I also paid rent of $1400, tuition of $1000, textbooks, food, train ticket home, etc etc, none of which OSAP cared to take into their calculation. They just assumed I would have that $4000 to put towards my education in September. As if they expect you to spend nothing in the summer - no movies, no trips, no alcohol, no dinner, not even bus fare to get to work.

Because of this error, I managed to suck my way into getting an OSAP Work/Study job that school year. In this position I earned $1000. That year my dad also earned slightly more (he works on contract, and basically works in a 2-year low/higher income cycle). Because of this extra money, OSAP decided they had overawarded me (note, they never acknowledged underawarding me in the first place). OSAP told me I had enough money to pay for school on my own, which is why I am carrying $2000 on my credit card right now.

Archived