Premed 101 Forums

Public Health, Private Lives

emma3

I liked the show and it did shed light on the fact that Canadian surgeons have it hard. However, his wife should have known what she'd be getting herself into when she married him. She also should understand that the last thing Dr. Cohen would want is to change his baby's diaper after doing two triple bypasses, lol. She's a stay-at-home wife/mom and therefore should respect her role and respect his as the breadwinner.

Um, from the sound of it she's home on maternity leave. I don't think that "caveat emptor" is an adequate response at all. If anything, attitudes like this justify a sort of God complex whereby one who performs heart surgeries needn't be expected to, say, change a diaper, such things being beneath a person of such skill. And he came off as a jerk otherwise.

I don't think you can really play down the role of a mother that easily.. They not only have babies/children to take care of and nurture into young adults (an immense task), but they have countless other responsibilities with the house (cooking, cleaning, maintenance, etc), community, friends.. This description is kind of assuming the classic stay at home mom, but either way. I know that my mother is one of the busiest people I know and she only works one day a week. She has taken on many other volunteering responsibilities in community/church

Plenty...but the real important point is that the wife needs to respect that her job (being a mom) is much easier than her husband's and therefore, shouldn't be complaining and ORDERING her husband to do this and that while she goes and deals with her emotions.

Trust me: it isn't that hard to raise a baby when all you have to do and focus on is raise that baby. And just look at their lifestyle; it is clear that she probably has enough money to hire someone to take care of her, lol.

Oh my.

I actually just watched this episode online, and I didn't see any ordering by his wife at all. Quite the contrary, I saw a man who rarely got to see his daughter, and who was trying to figure out how to find a work/family balance now that he had a child. His wife seemed very understanding to me, especially considering the fact that he is never home (a reality of his job). Having a child is a huge adjustment for anyone, and the doubtless the 80 hour work week makes it even harder.

Have you really taken care of or raised plenty of children?

It is an interesting assumption to make that the only thing a mother could possibly have to do aside from taking care of her child would be to "deal with her emotions". I think it's best if I just leave that one alone ;)

To the OP: Thanks for sharing the links, I really enjoyed watching the videos. After spending my weekend with a close friend who was in labour and eventually needed a C-section, I had a great appreciation for the obstetrician! :)

Plenty...but the real important point is that the wife needs to respect that her job (being a mom) is much easier than her husband's and therefore, shouldn't be complaining and ORDERING her husband to do this and that while she goes and deals with her emotions.

Trust me: it isn't that hard to raise a baby when all you have to do and focus on is raise that baby. And just look at their lifestyle; it is clear that she probably has enough money to hire someone to take care of her, lol.

different strokes for different folks...

if i was a busy surgeon, i would cherish every moment I had with my kids. Including changing their diapers.

I liked the show and it did shed light on the fact that Canadian surgeons have it hard. However, his wife should have known what she'd be getting herself into when she married him. She also should understand that the last thing Dr. Cohen would want is to change his baby's diaper after doing two triple bypasses, lol. She's a stay-at-home wife/mom and therefore should respect her role and respect his as the breadwinner.

Maternity leave isn't vacation and this has nothing to do with his job level. However, it is absolutely inappropriate for a wife to throw the baby onto him after he came home from real work. Accept it or not but being a stay-at-home mother is EASIER than going out and getting involved in a real full-time job, especially in the case where he is making hundreds of thousands to support her lavish lifestyle.

Yes, he should change diapers and what-not but not as much as the mother who is staying at home with NOTHING else to do.

Its weird as we don't know who these people are and we are commenting on their private lives but its their fault as they opened up their home for the world to see. If I were a doctor, I'd tell the CBC to get lost.

My stay-at-home-mother always taught me that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all....... So my response to you is that I really truly pity your (future) girlfriend/fiancee/wife/SO if this is what you really think.........

dude, you aren't winning any arguments with this post.

a man or woman who cares for an infant/child during the day, wakes up at night to feed or change or burp or cuddle said child deserves a break- even if it seems like they are "dumping" the baby on their spouse.

it takes two people to make a baby and a helluva lot more to raise one. single moms, single dads... they've got it tough and when you've got a spouse that works 80+ hours per week and you don't want to hire a nanny/caregiver for personal reasons it makes it even tougher.

as for feeling sorry for the dad or dr in this case... he knew what he was getting into when he started med school, he also would have considered how difficult it would be to raise a child and be present in his/her life in the first few years... that's a tough decision to make, but i bet he wouldn't trade it for the world. i'm not saying that the mom isn't at fault here either... perhaps they both need to work on their communication skills or else need to set clearer guidelines as to what to expect when getting home from work... schedules exist for a reason.

i certainly wouldn't call a stay at home dad lazy if he wanted to get a few hours away from the house after caring for a child... it's a lot of work...

like others have said- different strokes for different folks.

saying that raising a child isn't a job is ridic... btw.

Look, the only problem I have is that if it was the other way around in this video, everyone would be calling the male (who would be the stay-at-home father) lazy.

Can you imagine the woman coming from a long day of work and then the male (who has no actual job) just dropping the baby on her? Everyone would be up in arms.

Look, the only problem I have is that if it was the other way around in this video, everyone would be calling the male (who would be the stay-at-home father) lazy.

Can you imagine the woman coming from a long day of work and then the male (who has no actual job) just dropping the baby on her? Everyone would be up in arms.

Not everyone works the same way.

The surgeon works under very high stress and has very high tolerance. His wife's stress limit is likely lower, so taking GOOD care of a child is stressful for anyone, let alone someone with a lower stress tolerance. So while you may think one is more stressful for another, not everyone handles the same stress equally.

It's like, you come off your shift, finished your 2 surgeries for the day, and then when you get home, you're called back to do another 2 emergency surgeries cause the other MD didn't show up to work that day.

Stay at home dad?

that dr. cohen was a little over the top

Trophy stay at home wife, caddilac escalade, and a porsche boxster (ya i know its a girls car)...

What surgeon is everyone talking about? (re: Dr. Cohen, and his wife who was 'annoying'.) The only links I see are the residents one, and the obstetrician one...:confused:

What surgeon is everyone talking about? (re: Dr. Cohen, and his wife who was 'annoying'.) The only links I see are the residents one, and the obstetrician one...:confused:

You have to go to "The National" episodes and find the clips in the middle of the 1 hour episode OR just keep going through the show catalog, and you should find them as separate videos as well.

24 hour shifts?? :eek:

i thought they worked 80 hours a week... so residents get days off? lol

Really we should be doing Night Float.

That's pretty common in the states. One resident handles on call from 8 am to 8 pm. One resident is night float. Handles the over night call. They work only night shifts for a few weeks straight.

I was surprised when he said that canadian heart surgeons perform more surgeries than their american counterparts. I wonder why that is

Probably due to number of surgeons per capita. Plus in Canada, only a select number of hospitals will do heart surgery (all the universities and some bigger communities). Down in the states I expect most hospitals would offer them.

that dr. cohen was a little over the top

Trophy stay at home wife, caddilac escalade, and a porsche boxster (ya i know its a girls car)...

Many would find irony in a guy turning a conversation to cars, when spurred by his failure to recognize possibly the most iconic car, and the benchmark for all great sports cars. The quality of the comment on the Boxster should then be expected, however.

Please don't neg.

Archived