Premed 101 Forums

Good reasons for choosing Ottawa med school

Guest maxell

Guest maxell

Any there real advantages of U of Ottawa over, say the UofT?

One often hears of McGill, Queens, Toronto, Western, but never of Ottawa. Is it primarily a "provincial" university, where the main focus is attracting students from around the area? How does the med school rank in Ontario among the other 4 med schools ?

How about life in Ottawa? Is it a city that (figuratively) goes to sleep at 9.00 PM, and where nothing ever goes on, i.e. like Calgary, Edmonton or Winnipeg? Or is it a city that is active city and interesting?

Guest PeterHill0501

Maxell,

I can't say too much about Ottawa U as a school...during my interview at Ottawa U I asked the interviewers the following:

"There are many good Universities offering Med school across Canada...what would you suggest are the primary characteristics of the med program at Ottawa U that would convince a candidate to choose Ottawa over any other med school?"

The answer centered primarily around diversity of the students, bilingual culture and electronic curriculum. I can say that all auditoriums, classrooms and PBL rooms we saw on our tour were top notch with respect to connectivity.

As far as Ottawa goes as a city to live in...I've travelled and spent significant time in all major Canadian cities and have also spent time in many of the less-known cities...I would say I have a pretty good handle on what other Canadian cities are like. I would say, in my opinion, the three nicest places to live in Canada, in order of my personal preference are: Ottawa, Montreal, Vancouver. Ottawa is an amazing city. I lived here when I was younger and it was pretty lame with respect to night life, etc. Ottawa currently has a great night life scene...the market is really fun...and Hull is right next door. Good restaurents are everywhere. Ottawa is also very clean and safe, as major Canadian cities go. Our cost of living is also excellent relative to other major cities in Canada.

Ottawa also has lots of great things to do outside...if you're sporty...there are miles and miles of bicycle/blading/running paths, we have the canal...the gatineau is right next door for hiking and cross-country skiing in the winter...we have world-class bass, pickerel/walleye, musky fishing within 15-30 minutes of downtown...

Is there anything in particular you'd like more info on? If so...just ask.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...
Guest UWOMED2005

My experiences are that Hull has really died down since my second last year of High School (when they opened up the bars in Ottawa until 2:00am.) Chez Henri, Campus, Au Zone, In Extremis, Shalimar's and the Dome are all closed. . . I'm not even sure le Bop or le Bistro are open anymore. Since then Ottawa Nightlife has picked up a lot! But the Hull bar strip isn't really worth hitting anymore.

I'd vouch for the city of Ottawa as well. I grew up there before moving on to do undergrad. It's a nice size (not too big, but not too small. . . about a million in the surrounding area,) has a fairly good transportation system and beautiful parks and museums, courtesy of Federal government funding. Oh yeah - it has a kick-a$$ hockey team.

I didn't apply to U of O for meds, so I didn't look into the actual medicine program there, and don't know much about the medical program. (My main reason for not applying was simply because I grew up in Ottawa and felt it would be beneficial to live in a city other than Ottawa or Halifax for a couple of years.) I think I can comment on life in Ottawa to a substantial degree. . .

The one beef I'd have against the University of Ottawa Medical School is the location. It does have a pretty nice medical facility and in a beautiful neighbourhood (actually - that's my neighbourhood. I grew up a fifteen minute walk from the U of O medical school, and used to run past the facilities when I was training for my High School X-country team, dreaming of one day working there) The medical school is well integrated into the General Hospital and CHEO (Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario) is close by - I've heard the pediatric program there is one of the best in the country! BUT. . .

While the medical school is well integrated into the teaching hospitals, it isn't well integrated into the University of Ottawa, or the city of Ottawa as a whole, at least from a student (ie lack of car) perspective. It's pretty much in my old 'hood - Alta Vista (a.k.a 'South Central,' home of the AVDT. . . perhaps another reference James might get?) which is a good 15-20 minute bus ride from downtown and the main U of O campus. The bus system in Ottawa is good (the transitway almost directly connects the med school to downtown, just take the #85, or for a slower ride, the #16), but if you want to be involved in the greater U of O campus, you have to commute. I could see housing as also being a problem. The medical school is in my old neighbourhood, which is pretty much suburban residential. Other than the occasional basement apartment, there's not much affordable student-type housing. There a couple of decent apartment buildings on Alta Vista by the Post office, but they're a two bus (#8 + #85) commute or approx 20 minute walk from the medical school. And it's about $12 to cab to those apartments from downtown, should you decide to take a break from studying. There's a bunch of nice apartment buildings a 20 minute walk from the Med School on Riverside, near the Riverside Hospital - but those are pretty far from downtown as well, and for both those options there's not really any grocery stores, etc. close-by (though Billings Bridge Shopping is a single bus ride away from the Riverside apartments.) There's also a couple of apartments directly on the #85 route up by Elmvale Shopping centre, but that area isn't the nicest neighbourhood and is pretty far removed from downtown (a good $20-$25 cab ride.) Living there, you might find yourself having to hit up the Museum of Science & Technology for amusement. :)

In fact, if you are going to U of O for meds, I'd suggest living downtown, as close to the transitway as possible. I met a bunch of U of O med students who lived in the Lees Ave area - decent affordable housing, about a 15 minute bus ride from the Medical school (basically the same transit time as from the two aforementioned clusters of apartment buildings.) It's not quite downtown, but about a $8 cab ride from the market, and not too far from the action of Main Campus (the U of O campus bar, the Knox, has a pretty good Thursday night if I remember correctly. . .) Living in either Sandy Hill or the Market wouldn't be disastrous either - you're close to the best nightlife Ottawa has to offer and depending on where you live, pretty close to the major bus routes. The aforementioned #85 bus follows the transitway all the way through downtown. If you don't have a car, stay away from Elgin Street! It's got a lot of great housing and is another nightlife hub, but it's a couple of buses removed from the medical school. Same goes for the Glebe and Ottawa South - great neighbourhoods, great housing but it would take a while to commute to school. Basically, no matter where you live U of O meds is essentially a commuter school. That would be my one beef against U of O meds (relatively minor in the grand scheme of things.)

A quick question for "U of O med". . . what's the situation with the teaching hospitals for clerkship/3rd year? Are there many rotations at the Civic Hospital, Montford, and/or Queensway Carleton? If so. . . that would give U of O another downside, one Western also suffers from: the need to own a set of wheels for 3rd year. The hospitals in both Ottawa and London are pretty spread out (unlike Kingston) meaning, at least for London, that students pretty much have to purchase a vehicle for third year. "U of Med" might be able to confirm/deny that.

Oh, but on the plus side if you do end up at U of O for meds there's always a possibility of running into me at Minglewood's on the weekends :) . . . I tend to hang out there (with the aforementioned AVDT) when I get a chance to go back!

Sorry for the length of this post! Just a couple of random thoughts from an Ottawa boy, born and raised, on the playground is where I spent most of my days. . .

Guest PeterHill0501

UWOMED2005,

I think you bring up some really good points about Ottawa...of course...I agree with some and don't with others :) I think that living in a house near the Civic Hospital has coloured my experiences of living in Ottawa...I must admit I haven't lived here in an apartment or any other student type dwellings.

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> My experiences are that Hull has really died down since my second last year of High School (when they opened up the bars in Ottawa until 2:00am.) Chez Henri, Campus, Au Zone, In Extremis, Shalimar's and the Dome are all closed. . . I'm not even sure le Bop or le Bistro are open anymore. Since then Ottawa Nightlife has picked up a lot! But the Hull bar strip isn't really worth hitting anymore.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Ottawa nightlife HAS picked up a great deal. For the most part, I would agree that the Hull bar scene has died down...but that might not be such a bad thing. When I was younger :) if you went partying in Hull you'd almost invariably have someone picking a fight with you. Hull, on the other hand, has excellent restaurents. There are currently a few good bars in Hull...no fights...but I would say Downtown Ottawa and the Market are the places to go for nightlife.

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> I'd vouch for the city of Ottawa as well. I grew up there before moving on to do undergrad. It's a nice size (not too big, but not too small. . . about a million in the surrounding area,) has a fairly good transportation system and beautiful parks and museums, courtesy of Federal government funding. Oh yeah - it has a kick-a$$ hockey team.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

I'm not so sure about our kick-a$$ hockey team...we seem to have performance problems...lots of show...no need for a cigarette afterwards :) I do agree that Ottawa is one of the most beautiful, clean cities with reasonable transportation.

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> The one beef I'd have against the University of Ottawa Medical School is the location.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

I'd have to agree strongly with this point. While Alta Vista is a beautiful area...and close to the medical school...it's not a great area for a single person. When I was in an apartment, I really enjoyed walking outside into "life" as opposed to walking outside into "nothing", so to speak. I think if you are a serious cycler, blader...if you have a car or if you don't mind taking a bus (usually a 20 minute ride to "life") then it's fine, otherwise some of the other areas you mention are probably better.

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> Living there, you might find yourself having to hit up the Museum of Science & Technology for amusement.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Ouch...that hurts...hey, when's the last time you were there? It's actually changed quite a bit. I did some market research for them to help align their exhibits with their desire to be "hands-on" and "fun for families". My research also defined the new corporate logo they sport!

Peter

Guest James Wong

Oh god my high school memories are flooding back. The Hull strip does in fact suck now, but Le Bop is still there (so I am told). The underagers now go to Willies and I think there might be a bar where Le Boom de Houblon was...but I don`t know for sure.

Now that I`ll be turning 22 (on the 29th.....guess what my birthday wish is) I find that I don`t really enjoy the market as much as I used to when I first became legal age. I enjoy Elgin Street a bit more now and some other decentralized clubs. Elgin has exploded since you have left, UWO2005. Granted the crowd is, on average, 4-5 years older there than in the market, it`s where I feel more at home. Fewer vultures there! In the market, you will find some interesting clubs, such as the Rum Shack, that is home to the `sand beach and hot tub` in the club.

I don`t find the med school location a bother at all....for us southend-ers it`s closer and has less traffic flow during rush hour. The 85 (bus) takes you downtown within a matter of 10 minutes. Altavista, although not a bustling neighbourhood, is fairly close to St. Laurent Blvd. which provides easy access to a huge mall, 24 eateries, golf courses, a Hooters, and the ever popular nuDEN!!!

James

Guest UWOMED2005

I didn't mean to insult Alta Vista, Emvale Acres, or the Museum of Science and Technology at all! Hey - those are my old stomping grounds. . . grew up in Alta Vista, went to public school near Elmvale (you were an ex-Hawthorne kid as well James, right?) and used to hit the Museum of Science & Technology all the time as a kid. My only point was that as a student, especially if you are without a car, the neighbourhood in which the medical is situated isn't exactly ideal. It's mostly families and/or retired couples. . . not students or young single people. Depending on your situation, that might be ideal. . . but I know for most of my classmates, it wouldn't be ideal. Having lived in a "student ghetto" in Halifax, that's kind of more of the living situation I personally was looking for when coming to Medical School - and Alta Vista definitely isn't a Student Ghetto. And with respect to the Museum of Science & Technology, I was just inferring that there isn't much in the St. Laurent - Smyth area: Basically the Museum, a McDonalds, a Burger King, an arcade, and I think they've put a Hooters in there (sorry James, never been!). . . if you are the kind of person who enjoys a more active nightlife of the Market or Elgin Street, it's a pretty pricey cab ride. I never meant to insult the Museum. . . though it's been a couple of years since I've visited the "crazy kitchen"

Yeah, I've been hitting Elgin street a bit more myself the last few times I've been back. I usually hit up Minglewoods for the cheaper beer (pitchers of ANYTHING are $10.25) and for the nostalgia, but I am noticing the crowd there is getting younger. Last christmas, I met someone there who was born in 1983. I fully remember 1983 - that's the year Return of the Jedi came out! Kind of spooky. I'm a big fan of many of the places on Elgin, but when I'm back in town I usually hang out with the Coops, and he's pretty much a Minglewoods regular.

Guest PeterHill0501

aahhhhhhhhhhhh...the crazy kitchen...the first experience I had with altered states...it's still there and exactly as it always has been...one of the few real foundations of the "museum".

Peter

Guest AniyaSG

Sadly James, the 'Rum Shack' is no more. They'll probably be opening some other sleazy joint in that space, there's always something new in there. And what about that bar in Hull/Gatineau with the breast-implant contest... was that called 'Le Living Room' or something?

And I am surprised you choose the nuDEN, Most guys I know frequent the Gatineau Dance Academy, erm I mean Pigales ;)

--I grew up in Ottawa as well... tried to get out, but with the schools that I have left Ottawa is my 1st choice... What's that quote from The Godfather?... something like: 'I try to get out, but they keep pulling me back in!'

Guest UWOMED2005

'Rum' shack is no more, eh? That place has changed names/ownership more than any place I know. So far it's been Yucatan Liquor Stand, Club Diva, something I don't remember, the Rum Shack. I wonder what's next.

Guest James Wong

I must admit that I`m outta touch in the market. I don`t go clubbin`as much as I used to when I was 14 (ahhh the good ol Hull strip). As for the nuDEN, I haven`t been in a long while and I didn`t realize that pigales was still open. I remember back in high school when that was the place you wanted to be the night you turned 18!

I heard about that breast implant place. i didn`t think it was for real!!! how could they make money doing that? (I found the question mark on the French keyboard by the way) My understanding was that it was a wet T shirt contest and the winner got fake boobies?!

James

Mr. Rader, you needn`t worry about my naughty habits. I`ve aged a little and have realized that going to strips clubs is degrading for myself not to mention the fact that I would be supporting something that tears away at the seems of society. or perhaps my girlfriend just brain washed me somewhere down the line.....either way.

Guest UWOMED2005

I think I was at Shalimar's the night I turned eighteen. . . I haven't been to Pigale's since we hosted those British rugby teams with the Beavers back in High School.

Archived