Premed 101 Forums

Do you think you've changed since graduating high school?

Mithril

Definitely. I've become way more confident in myself and I'm not quite as shy and quiet as I used to be (although I still am!). I've also learned so much about myself since then. A lot of my "core" is the same, but I think just the fact that I've gained so much confidence and learned a lot about myself has made a huge difference in me and how I feel about myself in general.

I still haven't learned how to say "no" when someone asks me for a favour when I'm already crazy busy. But I don't think that'll ever change because that's just the type of person I am.

And I really hope I have changed since high school! I was such a square back then! :P.... I still play by the rules (most of the time), but I think I may have progressed to at least being a rectangle instead of a square! :P

EDIT: This June I'll have graduated 5 years ago..... it's amazing what can happen in 5 years!

hmmm, I think I've changed since high school... I have more facial hair (barely though- I think cnb can probably grow more of an intimidating beard than I can)

I'm definitely stronger... mentally and physically.

I'm also more confident... the girls I hung out with in high school were effing ridiculous. They called themselves the plastics- how original- and were probably the most deranged group of people... they would be nice to your face and then rip you apart... also to your face. I also was also obsessed with being popular... so much so that I put certain desires aside for fear of being made fun of...

on that note- I act now... which is awesome. Love the way it makes me feel. I wish I would have started in high school.

I enjoy running- I used to hate it...

I still say things to make people laugh any chance I can get... even the most inopportune moments... it could be a defence mechanism... trying to hide behind laughter to avoid the inevitable truth that I'm whallowing in my own self pity...

I've always felt more mature than my age... that hasn't changed... I still get id'd regularly at the liquor store and last year in Vegas the cocktail waitress told me I looked like her 15 year old son... I was 24...

I feel a lot more tired all the time... but that could stem from the fact that I have a terrible sleep schedule and have about 80hrs of work/commitments every week... not old age.

So, yeah- I'd say I've changed... for the better.

haha, i hope not- remember that comment i made about wanting people to laugh... well there ya go. sometimes, it doesn't work out all that well... :)

i also had made a promise that i would somehow include your name in my next post... it just so happened to work out that way.

I'm not sure if I should be completely offended by this or not........:P

haha, i hope not- remember that comment i made about wanting people to laugh... well there ya go. sometimes, it doesn't work out all that well... :)

i also had made a promise that i would somehow include your name in my next post... it just so happened to work out that way.

Lol- well it did work, because I initially laughed and then was like "HEY!" lol :P

Awww... I'm so honoured :)

I totally get what you mean about making people laugh though. I definitelytry and make people laugh. Sometimes (ok... a lot of the time) AT me, not just with me. I'm sure several people think I'm a dork/idiot. But that's ok. The world needs more laughter:) (And it's probably true that I am a dork/idiot! lol!)

Although basic traits remain, relatively speaking, I've gone from an ugly duckling to a swan. I did n ot then know the meaning of work ethic, self-sacrifce, did not have confidence in myself, was overly shy.

Now, I am confident, focused with a strong work ethic, know where I am heading and how to get there. I have become a self learner whereas in h.s. I barely opened a book. There has been considerablre maturation since h.s. And I know how to achieve academic excellence. ECs and volunteering too have had a profound influence on my development. All in all, I would say that I have followed a normal growth and development pattern of others striving for success in their chosen field.

I don't know where to start to explain the changes. I've been through all kinds, but with time we all do.

Ask me at 40 if I think I'm different than I am now. I am sure I will answer in the affirmative.

The scarier thought is of those who don't change at all since they've left high school...

I have changed so much since high school. I have learned to be independent. I moved 4 times in my first year, each time because I lived with roomates or had landlords who weren't very trustworthy. But I have become a lot stronger! Even though I am still a very small person, I have learned I don't have to be trampled over and don't have to please everyone. I have learned to study well over the past few years and also not to let my ECs take over school.

So yeah, even though I was not interviewed by UBC this year, I think it is a good thing. Looking back I have learned so much! I think by the time I start med I will be much more prepared.

I find it kind of funny how at the moment we often think we are wise/mature/growing up but then we can look back at ourselves a few years ago and say "Wow, I can't believe that is how I thought" or "how could I say that to someone"... When I was in grade 11 I look back at some of my emails that I sent in grade 7 and I thought 'man, I was an idiot at times' ... now I look back at grade 11 and I kind of think the same thing about certain things..

Makes you wonder what you will think about your 20-year old self like 5 years from now..

On the same note, I am hoping by the time we reach 60 that we won't be looking back every 5 years saying how stupid we acted =) I have feeling like this is a phenomenon that takes place mainly in the adolescent/young adult years.. I hope.

I find it kind of funny how at the moment we often think we are wise/mature/growing up but then we can look back at ourselves a few years ago and say "Wow, I can't believe that is how I thought" or "how could I say that to someone"... When I was in grade 11 I look back at some of my emails that I sent in grade 7 and I thought 'man, I was an idiot at times' ... now I look back at grade 11 and I kind of think the same thing about certain things..

QUOTE]

very true. i have changed a lot since high school. basically, in hs i was a complete dumbass and hence did a lot of dumbass stuff. i used to think it was funny to purposely fail tests or see how low a mark i could get, not only was it dumb, but now that i think back it probably made some people who tried and didn't do well feel bad. just one example of the multitude of stupid stuff i said/did in high school.

Although basic traits remain, relatively speaking, I've gone from an ugly duckling to a swan. I did n ot then know the meaning of work ethic, self-sacrifce, did not have confidence in myself, was overly shy.

Now, I am confident, focused with a strong work ethic, know where I am heading and how to get there. I have become a self learner whereas in h.s. I barely opened a book. There has been considerablre maturation since h.s. And I know how to achieve academic excellence. ECs and volunteering too have had a profound influence on my development. All in all, I would say that I have followed a normal growth and development pattern of others striving for success in their chosen field.

you should work on becoming less of a robot...

. Though I seem to lose a part of myself too. :rolleyes:

I have changed in a lot of ways since high school.. I wasn't shy or anything i high school but I didn't know the value of working hard.. I definitely agree with you deeman I have thought about that a few times, everytime a new piece that comes into my life seem to replace old ones. I think thats a good thing though?

I have changed in a lot of ways since high school.. I wasn't shy or anything i high school but I didn't know the value of working hard.. I definitely agree with you deeman I have thought about that a few times, everytime a new piece that comes into my life seem to replace old ones. I think thats a good thing though?

Some of the parts of me I loose is good, some is bad. Ex: loosing the part of me that used to be waaaayyyy more reckless and lawless is probably a good thing. Losing my cultural heritage, not so good. I find I'm less able to speak my mother-tongue now than before. :(

Some of the parts of me I loose is good, some is bad. Ex: loosing the part of me that used to be waaaayyyy more reckless and lawless is probably a good thing. Losing my cultural heritage, not so good. I find I'm less able to speak my mother-tongue now than before. :(

Well that isn't something you want to lose... you might have to pick it up.. go practice :P

Archived