Premed 101 Forums

how many programs to apply to?

itimebomb2

How many programs should a person apply to in order to have a reasonable chance of getting a position in a competitive specialty? For example - would applying to all the Ontario schools for radiology be considered ok? Or do most people apply to every program across the country?

Every program. However, in reality the only programs you really have a shot in for the competitive specialties are the ones in which you have done an elective.

Every program. However, in reality the only programs you really have a shot in for the competitive specialties are the ones in which you have done an elective.

I disagree with this statement. I know many residents (including myself) who matched to a competitive specialty at a location where they had not previously done an elective.

My advice would be to apply to all the schools/cities that you could see yourself spending the next 5 years of your life.

I disagree with this statement. I know many residents (including myself) who matched to a competitive specialty at a location where they had not previously done an elective.

My advice would be to apply to all the schools/cities that you could see yourself spending the next 5 years of your life.

agreed. i matched to a rads program where i didnt do an elective.

How many programs should a person apply to in order to have a reasonable chance of getting a position in a competitive specialty? For example - would applying to all the Ontario schools for radiology be considered ok? Or do most people apply to every program across the country?

Most people apply across the country (minus francophone schools if you are not such). Applying to Ontario only for radiology would make sense if it is imperative that you stay in a certain location (e.g. spouse's career) and you would rather enter another specialty than go elsewhere for radiology.

The cost is ~$25 per program application after your first four, but I think it is well worth it to keep your options open and apply to every program you can conceivably consider attending. You always have the option of declining interviews or not ranking a program later, but the reverse is not true and you cannot add more programs later if you change your mind.

Archived