Premed 101 Forums

York University Research

xkittens

Hey, just wondering what kinds of research opportunities there are at york university...what kind of stuff do you get to do(specially in 1st year), how easy is it to get involved in something cool?

York brags about their Research @ York program but i have a feeling its gonna suck.

Any input from York students?

You're wrong. That's all I'm going to say. If you meet the right people and dig deeper, you can find some amazing opportunities. Anyway... I'll let others answer this one.

Hey, just wondering what kinds of research opportunities there are at york university...what kind of stuff do you get to do(specially in 1st year), how easy is it to get involved in something cool?

York brags about their Research @ York program but i have a feeling its gonna suck.

Any input from York students?

Its hard to get a research job in first year (during the year) because the profs want to see your grades. You can apply to summer research jobs after you get your grades for the fall semester. Also, many research jobs prefer 3rd or 4th year students.

Research sucks! As an undergrad student, you'll be asked to do the boring, monotonous jobs. But then again, what job is fun as an undergrad student. The RAY program is def a good and one of the easiest way to find a research job... but its competitive. If you don't care about the money and just want to do research, an easier way would be to ask professors if you could work in their labs as a volunteer. If during the year, the prof picks a RAY student, chances are that he might just ask the summer volunteer if he wants the job. If you have high grades, you can also apply to nserc in your first year (but again thats going to be during the summer after first year). I have a RAY job, so if you have any questions about how it works, feel free to ask me.

Archived