Premed 101 Forums

Questions about getting in to McGill from out of province

BenCarey

Hi, I am a Canadian high school student who is planning to apply to McGill after doing my pre-med at the U of S in Saskatchewan. I was wondering if anyone could answer some of the questions that I have.

1. What was your grade point average and MCAT score?

2. How many years of undergraduate study did you do before getting in?

3. What kinds of questions did they ask you on your interview and how did you prepare?

4. What do you think set you apart from the other applicants that allowed you to get in over them?

5. Why did you get in to medicine?

6. Did you apply from out of province and why did you choose McGill?

7. Is there any more information that you think is relavent for what I am going through?

As many people who could offer advise and answer my question would be a huge help

Thanks,

Ben

Hey Ben, welcome to the forum. As it stands today - who knows what the requirements will be by the time you apply - as an out of province applicant, you will need a minimum of a 3.90 GPA to even be considered at McGill. Then, they look closely at your ECs and volunteering and the references. MCAT is not needed and you can apply in your ast year of undergrad.

You need to have the entiire package to be accepted for an OOP interview, only very few are actually accepted and you cannot rely upon getting into McGill no matter how good a candidate you may eventually be.

For now, focus on what course of study you will take, develop a strong work ethic and good time/stress management skills as the transition from h.s. to undergrad can be brutal, how you have done in h.s. is no indication of how you will do in undergrad. This is a marathon, so enjoy the journey.

Hi Ben,

To give yourself the best odds, you should consider moving to Quebec after you obtain your Bachelor's in order to obtain in-province status for your application. It means you would have to take a year out of school to work or volunteer, but your odds of acceptance for McGill are greatly improved.

Archived