Premed 101 Forums

Grad School to Improve Undergrad...same old story

Hey guys,

Sorry to ask this SUPER repeated question, honestly, very sorry, but I just want someone to comment on my current logic :D

ok so I am currently in my 4th year at UofT, my undergraduate career has been 50% horrible, and 50% really good you could say...cried my heart out over my first two years but what can I do about stupid choices we make in life...;)

my cGPA is 3.4, my 3rd year's GPA is 3.78, my 4th year 1st term GPA is 3.95 all OMSAS scale.

I did not apply to med school before my 4th year because I only had one "good" year, and I could only try western's conditional acceptance, but my MCAT verbal, was not only not 11, but it fully sucked so I couldn't even do that...

Now, next summer, I want to write my MCAT (and hopefully get over with this soul-breaker) and apply to schools in Canada and the US.

- My UofT wGPA is 3.72 including my 4th year (assuming second term goes well ;) ) --> still low for UofT I think?

- Ottawa wGPA is 3.77 (2nd, 3rd, and 4th year) --> cut off is around 3.8ish

- I also know that western and Queens look at your last two years and my last two years decently meet their cut offs (right?)

My dilemma right now is about a possible case senario that can happen to me:

this summer, I will write the MCAT and apply to med school, hopefully and fingers crossed everything will be smooth (application process wise)....but since verbal has not been my friend (not so friendly with PS either *sigh*), I am afraid that I might not do well and not be able to apply this cycle again. In this case, I will have to wait an entire year until the next cycle. In this case, two years in total will be "wasted" just waiting for the application and the result...in this time I can either:

1) do a 5th year while waiting for the next cycle and then work in the year after (which can give me a GPA boost if my 4 year application doens't make it)

2) Apply for masters now and start a degree in these two years

3) Work/travel/live for two years while I wait...

Originally, the optimistic side of me was thinking that if things go well on MCAT, then I will work/travel/live for one year and start in Sept 2012, but then this thought of things going wrong is starting to mess with my mind...

can someone please comment???? :)

Hey guys,

Sorry to ask this SUPER repeated question, honestly, very sorry, but I just want someone to comment on my current logic :D

ok so I am currently in my 4th year at UofT, my undergraduate career has been 50% horrible, and 50% really good you could say...cried my heart out over my first two years but what can I do about stupid choices we make in life...;)

my cGPA is 3.4, my 3rd year's GPA is 3.78, my 4th year 1st term GPA is 3.95 all OMSAS scale.

I did not apply to med school before my 4th year because for one, I only had one "good" year, and I could only try western's conditional acceptance, but my MCAT verbal, was not only not 11, but it sucked so I couldn't even do that...

Now, next summer, I want to write my MCAT (and hopefully get over with this soul-breaker) and apply to schools in Canada and the US.

- My UofT wGPA is 3.72 including my 4th year (assuming second term goes well ;) )

- Ottawa wGPA is 3.77 (2nd, 3rd, and 4th year)

- I also know that western and Queens look at your last two years and my last two years are decently meet their cut offs (right?)

My dilemma right now is about a possible case senario that can happen to me:

this summer, I will write the MCAT and apply to med school, hopefully and fingers crossed everything will be smooth (application process wise)....but since verbal has not been my friend (not so friendly with PS either *sigh*), I am afraid that I might not do well and not be able to apply this cycle again. In this case, I will have to wait an entire year until the next cycle. In this case, two years in total will be "wasted" just waiting for the application and the result...in this time I can either:

1) do a 5th year while waiting for the next cycle and then work in the year after

2) Apply for masters now and start a degree in case I mess up my MCAT and apply after

3) Work/travel/live for two years while I wait...

Originally, the optimistic side of me was thinking that if things go well on MCAT, then I will work/travel/live for one year and start in Sept 2012, but then this thought of things going wrong is starting to mess with my mind...

can someone please comment???? :)

You really should be considering the States, first off.

Otherwise, unfortunately, you're really limited by your MCAT score. Your wGPA won't be good enough for Toronto (unless you have killer EC's and research). A master's would help, but it's kind of a long shot. You'd have to have really good research experience.

Ottawa you will need to do a 5th year to have a shot at. All other schools depend on your MCAT. You also won't have much of a chance out of province, unfortunately. You could consider moving to Alberta to gain residency status there, but that's putting a lot of eggs into one basket.

I actually think a 5th year may be marginally more useful to you than a master's. There's a big risk in that you might kill your chances at Queen's (if you were to do poorly in this 5th year). But otherwise, it will help your cGPA and wGPA (albeit not much) for Ottawa, Mac and Toronto.

After a 5th year you will face the decision of going to graduate school versus working. If you're still set on medicine, grad school may be the best option after this year (short of a second degree).

Ask yourself what your ultimate goal is in completing a masters. Are you even intersted in that type of work? If no...then I wouldn`t bother.

It seems the things stopping you from getting into med school/or at least an interview are your marks and your MCAT score. Work on those. Grad school isn`t going to help with that. If the type of work grad school - in whatever field you are contemplating - is an acceptable back up career to you, then go for it.

I don't want to toot my own horn, but please read this post about grad school before you decide if you should apply.:

http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48169

Sounds like you're not too sure if you should go to grad school so please do some background work first. Satsuma and Simpy are right, grad school isn't going to boost your undergrad marks or your MCAT score, both of which are essential.

IMHO, I would rewrite your MCAT. EK has some excellent verbal tests that helped me bring up my score. Fifth year is probably your best bet. At least you'll be 'done' in 8 months where as grad school won't be definitively done for at least 2 - 3 years.

Fifth year is probably your best bet. At least you'll be 'done' in 8 months where as grad school won't be definitively done for at least 2 - 3 years.

For a thesis-based Masters, it will take 2 -3 years.

For a course-based Masters, can be done in 1 year:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48137

+1 for mudphud's post on considerations of doing a grad degree.

I don't want to toot my own horn, but please read this post about grad school before you decide if you should apply.:

http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48169

Sounds like you're not too sure if you should go to grad school so please do some background work first. Satsuma and Simpy are right, grad school isn't going to boost your undergrad marks or your MCAT score, both of which are essential.

IMHO, I would rewrite your MCAT. EK has some excellent verbal tests that helped me bring up my score. Fifth year is probably your best bet. At least you'll be 'done' in 8 months where as grad school won't be definitively done for at least 2 - 3 years.

+1

10char

Archived