Premed 101 Forums

school supplies

Guest qwert

Guest Akane200

You don't need a big skool bag. They will give you a free one from the OMA during O week. (but if you wanna buy one yourself to look different and not be identified as a med student, then I suggest MEC bags, they last the longest).

You will need a dissection kit if you don't already have one. Buy them through the o week package to get a discount. Also, need 2 boxes of latex gloves. A lab coat is also available for purchase with the o week packages.

Books: wait until you go to class. Buy the ones that you are most comfortable in using for yourself at your own level. Or you can wait for the used book sale organised by the students.

Medical equipment: purchased around Oct. during the med equipment sale. You get a discount for being a student (or so they say).

Stethoscope

blood pressure cuff (it's really good for practice; I really recommend getting one)

queen's square hammer

tuning forks, visual acuity card, light pen, other small things, etc.

opthalmascope (not really necessary for first year, I still don't have one; but you may want one to practice since we actually did learn to use these in first year)

Guest Ian Wong

I will hopefully be posting some information on this in the second to last/last week of August.

Akane's given you some good advice; I'd wish someone had told me what she just told you back when I was preparing to start school.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived