Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/rejected/waitlisted/deferred (Current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

GPA - 3.76 or so

MCAT - 34R

B. Sc. in Biochemistry + Minor in French as a Second Language at uOttawa

In Province

Will be waiting to hear back from the other schools before making my decision.

If you need information let me know. I ended up going to MUN and rejected offers from other schools for various reasons.

If you need information let me know. I ended up going to MUN and rejected offers from other schools for various reasons.

Thanks for the offer! I'll definitely PM you in a few days if I get other acceptances. It'd be great to find out your reasons for choosing MUN over other schools.

Thanks!

I'm an Alberta resident in undergraduate studies (BSc. in Cell Biology). My GPA was 3.95 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 10

Verbal: 11

Biological Sciences: 10

Written Sample: Q

Extracurriculars: I think this was the real strength of my application. I had lots of volunteering (in the inner city, with a youth group, coaching kids soccer, crocheting baby blankets for foster care agencies, and visiting patients in a hospital); started a social justice club on campus; NSERC lab work; piano; sports (soccer, hockey, ultimate frisbee).

I was interviewed but rejected by Memorial. This is my first time applying to this school.

Applied: U of A, U of C, UBC, MUN

Interviewed: U of A, U of C, UBC, MUN

Accepted: U of A, U of C, UBC

Memorial was really a long shot for me, as a non-Maritime student, so I wasn't even really expecting an interview. I got to make a nice little vacation out of the interview, anyways (first time seeing the Atlantic Ocean!)

• 3 months later...

I'm a NL resident with an honors in psychology (SN) and going into my second year of pharmacy at MUN. My GPA was (3.78) thanks to my 1st year... without the first year (not that it matters) my GPA is around 3.85. My MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (8)

Verbal: (10)

Biological Sciences: (10)

Written Sample: (S)

I was rejected by Memorial. This is my third time applying to this school. First attempt I was waitlisted, second and third flat out rejected after interview.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend (MUNl) as my first choice.

Im still pretty upset about it... but ill be trying again this year... fingers crossed!

• 4 months later...

Hey everyone, I've just stumbled across this discussion thread and wondered if any other 2012 applicants are reading and if any of you happen to also be anxious for MUN's 2012 selection process? Best of luck to everyone :)

I've been interviewed earlier in January so now it's just the waiting...

The MUN website says that IP applicants should hear by May whether or not they've been accepted. Last year people started to hear back as of May 2nd.

I think that it is worth mentioning though that the rumor around the school when I was there for my interview (amongst the current med students anyway) is that acceptances should be going out earlier this year, since the school is far ahead of schedule with their interviews.

• 4 weeks later...

My understanding is that not everyone has verifiers checked, and if they are it would only be a subset of your verifiers.

Particularly, your verifiers might be checked if you make a seemingly odd claim such as:

" I did research with Dr. J. Doe for 4 years, received many awards for that work, published papers and completed my Honours with them. However, I've decided that my first year english teacher should write my academic reference."