Premed 101 Forums

Personal Narrative txt file

bchen8341

So, we're supposed to send submit the personal narrative as a .txt file, but the thing is in notepad each line can hold an infinite number of words, so when I copy paste my essay from word to notepad, the whole essay appears in only a few lines (1 line per paragraph).

Are we supposed to manually break down the lines to form readable paragraphs, or just leave them like that?

So, we're supposed to send submit the personal narrative as a .txt file, but the thing is in notepad each line can hold an infinite number of words, so when I copy paste my essay from word to notepad, the whole essay appears in only a few lines (1 line per paragraph).

Are we supposed to manually break down the lines to form readable paragraphs, or just leave them like that?

It's fine to leave it in the 1 line per paragraph format. When they need to read it, they'll just turn the "word wrap" feature on. I believe the McGill AED Twitter feed mentioned this back in November.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry Bchen8341 for using your thread to post this quick question, but I think it's a bit related to the format too. They say that the personal narrative should be less than 1000 words; I just wanted to know if they consider a contraction (e.g. "it's") as one word or two words. Since microsoft word consider it as one word, I assumed it wouldn't be a problem, but since the pesonnal narrative format in txt, I don't know how will they proceed to determine it (btw, my personnal narrative is 995 words, so I Have a big problem if contractions are 2 words); Is it the same thing for french too, for example "j'ai".

Thanks in advance

Good luck to all with your applications

Sorry Bchen8341 for using your thread to post this quick question, but I think it's a bit related to the format too. They say that the personal narrative should be less than 1000 words; I just wanted to know if they consider a contraction (e.g. "it's") as one word or two words. Since microsoft word consider it as one word, I assumed it wouldn't be a problem, but since the pesonnal narrative format in txt, I don't know how will they proceed to determine it (btw, my personnal narrative is 995 words, so I Have a big problem if contractions are 2 words); Is it the same thing for french too, for example "j'ai".

Thanks in advance

Good luck to all with your applications

By definition, a contraction is condensing two words into a single one, so you should be fine the way you have it. I would assume that if McGill checks the word count of the narratives, they'd be using the same word count tool.

You could always trim a few words if you wanted to be extra sure...

Archived