Premed 101 Forums

What do you do for fun?

Cerena

-I recently started biking 8km to/from work each day. Some people think it's crazy. ex: Wednesday I biked when it was -23 (-35 w/ wind chill). Although I can't really consider that "fun" because its also my commute to work.

That statement has just confirmed that you are f*cking insane:p. Spring, fall, summer, I can all understand, but the middle of winter at -20, that's just crazy! Props though. That's something I wouldn't be able to do. Once it hits -15 I don't even cross country ski. Are the roads/paths in Cowtown icy/hard to bike on? I know some areas of the city have huge hills and I would not want to bike up/down that everyday!

For fun I: skate, read, skate, cross-country ski, skate, watch Criminal Minds (Love the show and I have a huge crush on the dude that plays Derek Morgan:o... shhh... don't tell my boyfriend;)), skate, teach skating (yes, most days I find this fun- lol!), and I'm secretly an old granny, so I really like cross stitching too. But most of my "fun" time is taken up by skating and various things with skating (no wonder it's my main EC!). If I had more time I'd learn how to swim and start training for triathlon, but that'll have to come when I realize I'm getting too old to throw myself into the air and land on a blade 2mm wide, because right now I have no time (and considering I swim like a rock, I'll need lots of practice before I can swim well enough to even attempt a triathlon!)

What can I say... I like frozen water better! Haha!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I made a picture once...

multiquote.jpg

that made me really sad :(

What type of records? I actually have all of my dads vinyls, just don't have the turntable anymore!

well we have a ton of awesome oldies. Selected records include The Beatles Abbey Road and Michael Jackson's Thriller. But we also buy new vinyls. I'm really into Chad VanGaalen recently, and a band called Pride Tiger. We also have it hooked up to an 850$ set of Bose speakers. Very nice.

That statement has just confirmed that you are f*cking insane:p. Spring, fall, summer, I can all understand, but the middle of winter at -20, that's just crazy! Props though. That's something I wouldn't be able to do. Once it hits -15 I don't even cross country ski. Are the roads/paths in Cowtown icy/hard to bike on? I know some areas of the city have huge hills and I would not want to bike up/down that everyday

I have the right gear for it. Underarmor base layers + ninjaclava, fleece, snowboard pants, biking jacket, coldspell gloves, winter biking boots + covers, front and rear lights, STUDDED bike tires. I only keep the front wheel studded though, because there's a lot of parts with bare pavement and the studs would just slow me down. As for the elevation... I live in Strathcona Park where the elevation is about as high as the top of the buildings downtown. My ride to work is about 30 minutes ALL downhill. It's 45-60 minutes going home, all uphill. And I stay clear of the main roads. The majority of it goes through a bike path in the park.

I have the right gear for it. Underarmor base layers + ninjaclava, fleece, snowboard pants, biking jacket, coldspell gloves, winter biking boots + covers, front and rear lights, STUDDED bike tires.

Have you discovered the wonders of Gore-Tex? I recently did and it changed my world. Waterproof, windproof and breathability makes biking in cold weather very tolerable.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived