Premed 101 Forums

Proof of Residency

Let's say I were to move to Alberta this summer to try and qualify to be in-province for UofC and UofA. The website for both schools say you need to be living there for 12 months consecutively prior to the start date of the class you are seeking admission for.

My question is how do you prove you've been living there for 12 consecutive months? If I move there in August, how do they know I moved there in August basically?

Let's say I were to move to Alberta this summer to try and qualify to be in-province for UofC and UofA. The website for both schools say you need to be living there for 12 months consecutively prior to the start date of the class you are seeking admission for.

My question is how do you prove you've been living there for 12 consecutive months? If I move there in August, how do they know I moved there in August basically?

I actually did this exact thing last summer to qualify for residency for this application cycle. On the application they ask you which category of Alberta resident you fit into, and you have to indicate the date you moved to Alberta. They don't ask you for any documentation proof at that time, but if you are invited for interview and are right on the cusp of qualifying for Alberta residency (eg. have been a resident for like 12 months exactly when classes for the term for which entry is sought begin) they may ask you to provide documents to prove. Easiest thing to provide would be your rental agreement. You'd probably want to make sure you are in province for July as opposed to August, just to be safe.

How about bank bills?

And does the bill you show admissions have to be for the first month at which you entered the province? What if you moved in July but your first bill came in December because say you only had to pay bills in November (such as credit card bills) since you turned 18 in November and before that month you didn't have to pay bills because you didn't have to pay phone bills (you didn't have a cell-phone), rent (the rent is payed under your parents name) etc.?

so really all u need to do is pay rent for a year in alberta to gain in province status? you woudlnt even need to physically be there? sounds enticing considering the rewards.

so really all u need to do is pay rent for a year in alberta to gain in province status? you woudlnt even need to physically be there? sounds enticing considering the rewards.
I think it would be abvious if you were there or not. For example, on your application, if you don't have any work, ECs, etc. that were done in Alberta for the current year, then they'll probably ask to see more than 1 item of proof.

I think it would be abvious if you were there or not. For example, on your application, if you don't have any work, ECs, etc. that were done in Alberta for the current year, then they'll probably ask to see more than 1 item of proof.

The only problem with that is that applications are due in October, so maybe you just haven't quite had a chance to start things yet.

Considering the profession one would be applying for (ie med), paying for rent in AB (for example) and not living there just to get IP status is highly unethical and counter-intuitive to a practices and ideas you should be exhibiting as a future physician:rolleyes:

FYI: Watch as to whether or not you qualify as IP for UofA- they don't consider you IP if you're taking courses/going to school (which is also why if you're from AB you can move from AB, go to school elsewhere in the country, and still qualify as IP).

The only problem with that is that applications are due in October, so maybe you just haven't quite had a chance to start things yet.

Considering the profession one would be applying for (ie med), paying for rent in AB (for example) and not living there just to get IP status is highly unethical and counter-intuitive to a practices and ideas you should be exhibiting as a future physician:rolleyes:

FYI: Watch as to whether or not you qualify as IP for UofA- they don't consider you IP if you're taking courses/going to school (which is also why if you're from AB you can move from AB, go to school elsewhere in the country, and still qualify as IP).

True. Didn't think my answer through. But I figure if you have 1 proof of residency you probably have another piece of proof as well.

• 1 month later...

Will I be considered IP in this scenario: I am current finishing undergrad outside of alberta. I am moving to Alberta next month to spend time with family and hopefully get a summer job. I have applied to grad schools in different universities across the country but I am not sure where I will get in yet. If I get in at a university outside of Alberta and move there in September as a full time student, come back to alberta for the winter break in December and leave alberta again in January for term 2 of grad school, will I be able to maintain my Alberta IP status for both U of A and U of C?

Before my undergrad I was not in Alberta. I've always been a resident of Ontario, however, I'm moving there for personal family reasons - ideally I would've moved last year but I had to finish my last year of undergrad in Ontario.

On U of A's website it states: "The one-year residence period shall not be considered broken where the admission committee is satisfied that the applicant was temporarily out of the province on vacation, in short-term employment, or as a full-time student."

This information is kind of vague, if I moved OOP to do grad studies in September as a full-time student is that considered to be "temporarily out of province"? However, I will be back in AB during the holidays.

Before my undergrad I was not in Alberta. I've always been a resident of Ontario, however, I'm moving there for personal family reasons - ideally I would've moved last year but I had to finish my last year of undergrad in Ontario.

On U of A's website it states: "The one-year residence period shall not be considered broken where the admission committee is satisfied that the applicant was temporarily out of the province on vacation, in short-term employment, or as a full-time student."

This information is kind of vague, if I moved OOP to do grad studies in September as a full-time student is that considered to be "temporarily out of province"? However, I will be back in AB during the holidays.

Call the admissions office.

Some things to consider is where do you file for taxes? Where do you get your student loans from? Where did you graduate from high school? I think these will help you determine your status.

Will I be considered IP in this scenario: I am current finishing undergrad outside of alberta. I am moving to Alberta next month to spend time with family and hopefully get a summer job. I have applied to grad schools in different universities across the country but I am not sure where I will get in yet. If I get in at a university outside of Alberta and move there in September as a full time student, come back to alberta for the winter break in December and leave alberta again in January for term 2 of grad school, will I be able to maintain my Alberta IP status for both U of A and U of C?

technically it seems like you would be considered (by their definition), but it really doesn't sound IP to me. Your family is moving to AB but you are living in "city with grad school that is not in Alberta". I think this one would need to be a phone call.

Archived