Premed 101 Forums

Transfer from UBC to Mcgill in 2nd year

jin7102

I am applying to transfer from UBC to Mcgill as a second year student this year. However, on p.141 of this PDF document regarding to the regulations of credits transfer

(http://www.mcgill.ca/files/students/undergraduate_201011.pdf )

,it says that the marks of the credits transferred (the marks from UBC) would not be calculated in the GPA of Mcgill. So, how would my GPA be affected when I apply to medical schools in the future? Also, would it be a disadvantage for me in the admission into medical schools if I have a record of transferring from a tier 1 university to another tier 1 university just because of some personal reasons (which shows the lack of consistency in finishing a program in the same university)? Thanks for any generous comments and suggestions.

Based on my understanding of transfer credits, your UBC credits wouldn't be part of your McGill GPA; however, your credits from both schools (and any other universities you attend) would be considered for med school admissions.

I don't think it makes any difference if you transfer, or even where you transfer to. I've never heard of such "tiers" being used to rank undergraduate programs. The only way we really differentiate universities in Canada is based on size and number of graduate/research programs. For the most part, undergraduate programs are reasonably comparable in quality across the country (this statement might stir up some opinions with others though).

I am applying to transfer from UBC to Mcgill as a second year student this year. However, on p.141 of this PDF document regarding to the regulations of credits transfer

(http://www.mcgill.ca/files/students/undergraduate_201011.pdf )

,it says that the marks of the credits transferred (the marks from UBC) would not be calculated in the GPA of Mcgill. So, how would my GPA be affected when I apply to medical schools in the future? Also, would it be a disadvantage for me in the admission into medical schools if I have a record of transferring from a tier 1 university to another tier 1 university just because of some personal reasons (which shows the lack of consistency in finishing a program in the same university)? Thanks for any generous comments and suggestions.

montreal is such a cool city

montreal is such a cool city

Yes, I know. I just want to make sure transferring to another university without a solid reason would not affect my odds in getting into a medical school in the future. Most people transfer to get into better universities, but for my case, I do not know really how to reply if the interviewer ask me why do I transfer from UBC to Mcgill. :confused:

Yes, I know. I just want to make sure transferring to another university without a solid reason would not affect my odds in getting into a medical school in the future. Most people transfer to get into better universities, but for my case, I do not know really how to reply if the interviewer ask me why do I transfer from UBC to Mcgill. :confused:

mcgill is a better university?!? :D

Archived