Premed 101 Forums

details on MCAT math?

Guest seonagh

Guest seonagh

Hello all,

I'm getting set to register for my first year courses in undergrad. I know that most of what you need for the MCAT is covered in first year courses of the basics, math, physics, chem and bio.

I'm looking for some details on what the math and physics portions entail. I will be taking a decent amount of bio and chem anyway but don't want to make my life any more difficult than it has to be and risk dropping my marks to struggle through heavy calculus and physics if it will not be needed to help me do better on the MCATs.

I am planning on getting the Gold Standard book but I need to order it and it will take about 2 weeks to get here. I would like to come to a decision on the courses before then.

For those that have written could you give me some idea of the math and physics scope that is represented on the tests.

Sheena

Guest Lactic Folly

There is no calculus on the MCAT.. you do need to be comfortable with algebra and working out calculations without a calculator. First year physics would be an asset.

Guest seonagh

Hello Lactic Folly,

My university offers two first year physics courses, one that is calculus based and one that is algebra based. The algebra based course states that it is suitable for those entering the life sciences. I am thinking that this will cover all of the topics that I will need for the MCATs but my former engineering student self (didn't finish) can't help but think that this is watered down physics and will be looked on as such.

Sheena

Guest dfenst

The physics you need to know includes Optics (mirrors, lenses), Electricity & Magnetism (curcuits, electric field, magnetic field, conductance...), and Mechanics (linear motion, circular motion, gravity, newtons laws..., torque, tension). There are no direct math (cal, linear algebra...) questions.

Dan

Guest Lactic Folly

Hi seonagh,

I took the algebra based physics as preparation for med school and the MCAT - it had the weekly assignments, exams consisting solely of mathematical problems, and many of the same labs as the calculus based course (with slightly modified writeups, of course). I felt the courses were just as rigorous as, say, an intro chem class (which doesn't use calculus either), and in any case were fine as MCAT prep. Of course, if you relish the challenge and think you will get more out of the other course, then take the calculus based one, but I doubt there will be much of an advantage admissions-wise (or disadvantage for the algebra-based). The main thing is to have the prerequisite, and do well in it.. as long as you don't take qualitative physics for arts majors :)

Archived