Premed 101 Forums

Physiatry, fellowships, $$$, and QoL

Clerk

Hi guys,

I'm interested in some specific areas in Physiatry making it a very likely choice for residency. Namely: Sports medicine, pain management, and emg/msk, but actually not so much rehab.

Are there any pain fellowships in Canada? Are they hard to get into in the States? What can one do to make yourself a competetive applicant for pain/interventional fellowships in physiatry? what about sports med?

I do love the fact that Physiatry has a great quality of life and seems to be quiet laid back...but that's reflected in your salary--making 100-150k a year is on the low-end for specialties. I've found on this forum you can compliment your salary with medico/legal stuff---but i'm not in the business of screwing patients over and i heard the paperwork can be nasty.

I'm not interested in Anesthesia as i don't like sitting behind the curtains in the OR waiting for something interesting to happen, nor do i want family..

Ortho was something i was considering but the lifestyle seems to grueling. Though, if you were to try to make 300K and up in physiatry would you wind up investing the same number of hours/have the same quality of life of an orthopod?

probably. unless you were in an academic setting and get reimbursed for research and teaching on top of your practice. if you work for them you won't have overhead but if you start your own gig you do. ortho also means getting at least 2-3 more fellowships to find work nowadays. why don't you like family? you can do family then an extra year of sports medicine. you deal with chronic pain all the time although unless you do anesthesia you probably can't do too much for them.

• 2 months later...

just thought i'd post this here...

physiatrist in vancouver who billed msp ~720k in 2010. apparently, he is wicked at his job.

dr. dhawan.

i wonder if he works like a dog?

dr. nguyen billed 700k

i'm only posting these here because i'm bored and was looking at different physician contact information in the vancouver area... yeah... i'm a geek.

can anyone say outliers?

Oh totally, the majority of physiatrists that I saw were kicking around the 250-300 mark. But I think that fails to account for wcb and other claims... Plus all the overhead and what not.

Just thought it was quite a bit for a physiatrist to make.

I did an elective in physiatry during clerkship--in urban centers (Toronto especially, where I did the elective), my preceptor had published info that Physiatrists make about 160k on average (note that this is in Toronto, so not really representative)--and this included "extra" pay like from WSIB. So I wouldnt be swayed by the outliers. The guys I worked with complained they made less than Peds and GPs--but they loved their work, so the trade off I guess is really up to you if this is something you are considering.

Sort of sucks that all the "fun" specialties have not-great pay--but there really is no "magic bullet" specialty where you make epic money, have a great life, and it is not super-competative to get into thru Carms (ex/ derm). Sadly if you havent been through this, you will likely have to learn it slowly and over time like me :)

While attending pain conferences in the States I came across a broad mix of physicians focused on pain management. Neurosurgeons/neurologists/physiatrists/psychiatrists/anesthesiologists/interventional readiologists/allied health professionals will often pursue an interest (if not fellowship) in pain management. Pain management is a broad field. The AAPMR and AAPM have a list of accredited pain fellowships on their websites with requirements.

Archived