Premed 101 Forums

So...where else did all the OOPs get interviews?

You usually don't simply observe (boring) and on most services you probably won't be first assist much if ever. Having said that, I was first assist for my whole first day on neurosurg, but that's been the only time. You'll get to cut lots of suture wires, retract, apply suction occasionally, close skin and sometimes subcutaneous tissue (I sutured galea!), and - if you do neuro - drill a few burr holes.

Generally speaking the purpose of clerkship rotations in surgery is not to learn how to operate (though you will get experience in basic skills like suturing) but when to operate and when not to. At my level, I find being scrubbed in for long cases in which I'm not doing anything a waste of time.

That's a concern I had but I'm glad you're not required to be present when there's nothing you can do (obviously, you'd be busy w/ something else as a clerk).

Very cool being first assist on neurosurg on your first day, sweet stuff!

Basically, I guess I'm just looking for confirmation that Dal produces great hands-on (as well as technically minded) grads that may be a little bit above the most of the rest of the grads in Canada when it comes time for that internship year in residency. At least this is the impression I have got about Dal from talking with a few residency directors as well as physicians and surgeons.

• 4 weeks later...
ryacha, can you talk more about what you liked so much about Dal? I'm from NS but wanted to go out west, but maybe the grass isn't greener on the other side after all?

Late reply but I just noticed this. I loved Dal for a lot of reasons including the case based learning approach, how early we get into a clinical setting and how there is very little focus on sit in lectures and more on self-paced learning. Beyond the school, I loved the people in the school, I got great vibes a close knit class, and that is something that I feel is important for the next 4 years right?

Now my opinion is one-sided because I haven't seen UBC in the same way as I have Dal, I'm sure UBC (and all other western schools as well) are great, I just didn't get an interview there ;)

Overall, the grass is likely just as green, so apply and check it out, but having an IP status Dal is a good option for you and a great school so keep an open mind!

Late reply but I just noticed this. I loved Dal for a lot of reasons including the case based learning approach, how early we get into a clinical setting and how there is very little focus on sit in lectures and more on self-paced learning. Beyond the school, I loved the people in the school, I got great vibes a close knit class, and that is something that I feel is important for the next 4 years right?

Now my opinion is one-sided because I haven't seen UBC in the same way as I have Dal, I'm sure UBC (and all other western schools as well) are great, I just didn't get an interview there ;)

Overall, the grass is likely just as green, so apply and check it out, but having an IP status Dal is a good option for you and a great school so keep an open mind!

One thing I have noticed is every school seems to be pushing the same style of learning and early clinical access. At least every school I've looked at.

My reasons for loving Dal are just the city and the people I already know out there. I think all Canadian med schools are pretty great, and so I'm picking basically just based on where I want to live.

Archived