Premed 101 Forums

MCAT lunch/snacks!

Guest minnieMD

Guest minnieMD

Hi,

This is the ultimate dumbest question but- what did you guys have for lunch during the day of the MCAT? I need something light and yet- fulling. I don't want that glucose spike and then drop...the drop in energy could prove to be fatal... :b

Can we also eat DURING the test? like a nutrigrain bar? Are those things sugary too?

Thanks!

I actually don't think your question is dumb. When I wrote the MCAT, I had a snack that made me feel really tired and shaky (I ate it right before physical sciences) and I actually blame it for my poor peformance on that section.

You get a break between each section (10 or 15 minutes) and a lunch break for about an hour between the second and third section, so you can definitely bring snacks with you. As for what to eat, I'd recommend paying attention to how your body typically reacts to certain foods so you can predict how it will react the day of the test. I would also suggest being careful with too much caffeine. I think that may have been my problem.....

Guest Nightrider

Well, everyone is unique, but my bf brought me a sub for lunch on MCAT day (chicken on whole wheat) and that seemed to work well for me (low-fat, but with a good balance of protein and carbs). I had a banana during one of the breaks too. I would go with what Fox said though, and go with what you have found works for you in the past.

Good luck with the studying!

Nightrider

Guest PARTY cal

I actually packed myself a really large lunch, but when it came time to eating I felt so sick. So I just ate the powerbar I had packed. I also had a bit of a powerbar during the 10 min breaks.

Guest CaesarCornelius

Hey

I just thought that I would add that you can't eat during the exam (while the being tested). I think you can't even have water. Although that might vary from place to place, but at the place I was at they were very nutz. They told a girl she couldn't write the test because she came in 1 min (no joke) after they started reading the instructions.. AND.. they had started about 15 mins early...

She was not too happy, but called the AAMC and was able to write it the next day (sunday).

CC

Guest Toonces

We were allowed to have water during our MCAT (at the Holiday Inn in Toronto), and I think we were allowed to eat candies...I know I was chewing gum...on the condition that we were quiet and no one spilled anything. The candies they supplied, as well as pitchers of water.

For lunch I took pasta with tofu and veg and a banana and cookies and iced tea and ate maybe a quarter of it (I never eat big lunches anyway), but it seemed to do me okay. If it's something you're worried about, then it's something you should plan in advance so you don't have to think about it the day of the exam. I remember choosing something to wear a few days before, although in the end I totally underestimated how chilly the AC would be in the hotel.

Guest Lactic Folly

I ate what I normally bring to school/work everyday.. bottle of water, banana, other fruit, and crusty rolls from the supermarket. It's healthy, very quick to prepare, and so far I haven't tired of it yet..

Nutrigrains seem popular, but I always found them icky sweet, as opposed to nice sweet, like eating a packet of sugar :)

This is basically irrelevant, but anyway - My roomate and I both wrote the MCAT at the same time/place. She is diabetic, and they allowed her to have whatever she needed on her desk. Also, because it was such a small writing center (small university) and there were only 15 people max writing it, they were much more lax. One of the guys from our class read the notice wrong and was actually 15 minutes late (we had to call him) and they still let him write it. The test day was also shorter because of our small size - it took them 2 seconds to switch the exam parts instead of 1/2 hour like one of my friends who wrote in a huge center- the difference between a 6 hour day and a 8 hour day. So for those of you thinking about where to write, going to a smaller center might be to your advantage!

Archived