Premed 101 Forums

Chances at DMNB

I am currently in my third year of Chemical Engineering. On a 4.3 scale my cumulative GPA is 3.7 with second year being 3.8 and last term being 4.0. I have no volunteer experience aside from tutoring but I am planning on volunteering at a hospital this summer and working at a day camp for autistic children. Provided I score reasonably well on the MCAT this summer, would my GPA and volunteer experience be sufficient to get into the Saint John campus?

I am currently in my third year of Chemical Engineering. On a 4.3 scale my cumulative GPA is 3.7 with second year being 3.8 and last term being 4.0. I have no volunteer experience aside from tutoring but I am planning on volunteering at a hospital this summer and working at a day camp for autistic children. Provided I score reasonably well on the MCAT this summer, would my GPA and volunteer experience be sufficient to get into the Saint John campus?

Remember that those only play a small part in deciding who gets in. The big ones are the essay and the interview, as between these two components, 50/100 points are determined. The fact that you're doing ChE won't give you any benefit, but your GPA is competitive enough, so don't sweat it too much.

• 2 months later...

As far as I am aware, the seats for NB residents are situated at the SJ campus. As the preceding poster mentioned, MCAT and GPA play a little role in your application for a mere total of 25 points. Personally, I would prefer to attend at Dalhousie's Halifax campus (I am here now), but if accepted will be sent back to UNB (did two years at UNB... blah).

I'm sorry to say there is no option to attend the other campus. The NB campus is only for NB students and all NB students that are applying under that application pool will have to go to the NB campus. That said - Neuro - you said you've been in Halifax for 2 years, if this is for work/continuous (or graduate work) - it's possible you could be considered as a Nova Scotia student, you'd have to chat with the admissions office on that one, however if I were you and if you had any concern you might not be accepted I would apply as an NB applicant if you have that option because usually it's a slightly smaller applicant pool I believe.

I'm not sure how it will work for clerks (3rd year) but as of now clerks travel across the maritimes to do rotations and this would likely be similar for NB clerks and 4th year of course is mostly elective time and you can do that almost anywhere, so it's really only 2 years that you'd be spending in NB.

I hope that helps!

Hi there,

I am looking at applying to DMNB.

I graduated with a BA from UNB in 2010. I took some science and health science courses this year. I have played soccer for four years with the university, played indoor soccer, worked at the university, as well as am a simulated patient for the med school.

I guess my real question is for current or newly accepted students to DMNB. What were your extracurriculars, volunteer experience (and length of time volunteering), and approx. GPAs?

Thanks!

Archived