Premed 101 Forums

New MCAT guidelines

Guest curious100

Guest curious100

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could clarify exactly what the situation is with the new MCAT guidelines. You are no longer allowed to cancel your score at the end of the test, apparently in order to prevent people from using the test as a dry run. Furthermore, the med schools have been advised by the MCAT administrators to consider ALL MCAT scores, rather than just the highest score.

Q: Does anyone know how the med schools will be handling this suggestion?

Thanks!

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I don't think that the latter advisory will make much of a difference in terms of how the Canadian schools use the MCAT (remember that MCAT is an American test, designed for and held in much higher regard by the American medical colleges), so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Then again, I don't have anything factual to back up my assertion, so I could be wrong. This is the impression that I get.

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest Lactic Folly

Yeah, you can no longer elect to withhold scores of the tests you write from now on (Apr 03?).. they will all be released to med schools.

Do you guys think that because we have to submit all mcat grades from now on, people writing the exam will be more prepared than previous years and as a result the average scores would be higher. Is it going to be more difficult to do well on this year's mcat than previous years?:(

Guest Lactic Folly

I doubt it would be significant, but in any case, this isn't something you can change. What you can do is make sure you are well prepared and give it your best shot, and the new policy shouldn't affect your score very much.

Guest LaGriega

You can no longer withhold (i.e. have the test scored, but scores not sent to schools).

You can still void. I did this in April. If you void, the test is never scored and the med schools do not know that you ever wrote it. On an AMCAS application, it displays # of MCATs taken = 0.

Guest kyouou

When I was applying for med shool the last 2 years, I think that the Ontario schools all look at the most RECENT set of scores and not the highest set of scores, so there is a risk in writing a second time.

Guest Gem2005

Hi everyone, I was just wondering, since the new guidelines have changed, how risky is it to take the MCAT if your not 100% sure your ready (Iknow others have asked the same quest). But I only have 4 weeks and have completed only two full lenght exams which were no where near where they should. Right now I am reviewing the basics for the science and the VR is weak.

See the problem is that if I dont write it, it delays applications to med schools a whole two years. Some tell me to go ahead and try it but I dont want it to weaken my application. I am confused

can anyone give me their thoughts on what I should and shouldin't do?

Thanks in advance:\

Guest Titanium2003

Why would delaying the MCAT till April or Aug.04 delay your application by 2 years? Writing now means you're aiming for a fall 2004 entrance, and writing next spring or summer means you're aiming for a fall 2005 entrance, a 1 year delay.

On another note, I think you should consider doing more full length tests (AAMC 3R-6R) and any other (Kaplan, EK) you can get your hands on. Write only when you fell prepared because you will be more confident and ready to tackle this monster of an exam.

Best of luck to you.

Archived