Premed 101 Forums

Help! How do I recruit research participants?

Cerena

The title says it all. I have tried putting up posters, mass emails... any feedback would be appreciated.

P.S. I realize I wrote "get recruit research participants" and that doesn't make sense. But I don't know how to edit thread titles. Sorry! It should be called "How do I recruit research participants?" I submitted before I realized the mistake.

The title says it all. I have tried putting up posters, mass emails... any feedback would be appreciated.

P.S. I realize I wrote "get recruit research participants" and that doesn't make sense. But I don't know how to edit thread titles. Sorry! It should be called "How do I recruit research participants?" I submitted before I realized the mistake.

Don't you TA orgo? You can offer them a bonus mark on a midterm or something for their participation? :P

(But I really don't know how ethical bribery would be...)

You need to be more sepcific, which demographic are you targeting?

generally, if it's in your budget, having any sort of compensation would help your study a long way. Perhaps $5 or snacks? I realize you can't do this with a large pool of subjects so again I need to know a bit more on who your recruiting and how many participants you need

Depend on what kind of research, and how long it takes for a person to participate. Some psychology researches require like 15min fill-in questionnaire, and I saw psychology students holding the paper around the campus, giving out 1CAD or 2CAD for every participants :)

PS: but I dunno what r u doing, so can't really say much

Haha wow, I should have thought a bit more before posting. So here's the gist of it:

1.5-2 hr long study followed by a blood sample collection. Clinical research. Neurology. Memory and cognitive testing. It's actually lots of fun. We compensate participants $5 for each session they participate in.

I personally don't think students would participate in a 1.5-2hr long study followed by blood sample collection with only $5 compensation :( I wouldn't participate either (because of the blood sampling part), even if u compensate me like $50. But it's just me.

Can u offer them some bonus mark in some related courses? Like 2% or 5% bonus on the total grade?

Ask a store or something in town and see if they'll sponsor you with x% off coupons? Although I'm really not sure which store would sponsor something psych related.... hmmmm.....

Try to get more money for compensatory funds, I guess, it's your only real option.

Unfortunately, I agree that the proposal as written would not convince many people that it would be worth their time (and pain) to participate. I used to participate in psychology/marketing studies at the university - not only were we paid a minimum of $10 per hour (sometimes up to $20) to participate in fun experiments, no needles were involved.

Some clubs on campus offer "hours" for volunteering with the club and you get a certificate once you reach a certain number of hours and you're accredited as a year-long volunteer or whatever. You could try negotiating with a department related club to see if they will award 2 hrs to participants if such a system exists at your school.

else add a line at the bottom: "The hottest participant gets special treatment"

:D

Hey Cerena,

Students might participate more if they knew how this study might help advance scientific knowledge (don't mention the blood sampling part at first on posters - FYI it won't be considered trickery) :P .

From past experience, mention of money, target and "reason why" on posters has gotten us quite a few participants. Our study had blood tests, as well as sleepless nights.

We also did a tour of some classes (neuropsych, scientific methodology, etc.) to invite students to participate, asking for their name and email and then we followed up to book a meeting with them (they were free to do so or not). Also, their was an ad in the school newspaper + in the psychology weekly.

Like most have mentioned, the financial compensation was higher. PM me if you want more details.

C :)

I think it would be fantastic if I could go on the radio. We do have some money, maybe I should suggest this? What do you think?

Hey Cerena,

Students might participate more if they knew how this study might help advance scientific knowledge (don't mention the blood sampling part at first on posters - FYI it won't be considered trickery) :P .

From past experience, mention of money, target and "reason why" on posters has gotten us quite a few participants. Our study had blood tests, as well as sleepless nights.

We also did a tour of some classes (neuropsych, scientific methodology, etc.) to invite students to participate, asking for their name and email and then we followed up to book a meeting with them (they were free to do so or not). Also, their was an ad in the school newspaper + in the psychology weekly.

Like most have mentioned, the financial compensation was higher. PM me if you want more details.

C :)

Hurrah! Now I am getting somewhere. Check ur inbox :P

At my university, the recruiting staff goes to various classes and ask the professor if they can make a short (5mins max) announcement to present their research before the lecture starts and they pass a sheet around and the students interested to participate just write their ID-name and tel number and the staff comes at the end of the lecture to pick up the sheet with the names of the interested students. To encourage undergards to participate to research, several teachers give bonus points to ppl who participate in studies. For example, in one in my psych class, if I participate to 6 hours of studies, i get 3% bonus on my final grade.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Ps come to montreal to make your research i would be the 1st one to participate LOL

At my university, the recruiting staff goes to various classes and ask the professor if they can make a short (5mins max) announcement to present their research before the lecture starts and they pass a sheet around and the students interested to participate just write their ID-name and tel number and the staff comes at the end of the lecture to pick up the sheet with the names of the interested students. To encourage undergards to participate to research, several teachers give bonus points to ppl who participate in studies. For example, in one in my psych class, if I participate to 6 hours of studies, i get 3% bonus on my final grade.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Ps come to montreal to make your research i would be the 1st one to participate LOL

Lol, I'd love to go to Montreal! But seriously... I just wonder, and I talked this over with another member... is it really ethical to give bonus marks to students participating in research? Couldn't they easily lie/back out/not give an honest effort if they are not genuinely interested and are just participating for the marks or money? I think it's an excellent idea to give a presentation about the research, thanks for that :) ... but I'm not so hot about giving marks for participation. Like I wish I could do that, it would probably get us a lot of participants, but I would fear the integrity of the results being skewed.

Lol, I'd love to go to Montreal! But seriously... I just wonder, and I talked this over with another member... is it really ethical to give bonus marks to students participating in research? Couldn't they easily lie/back out/not give an honest effort if they are not genuinely interested and are just participating for the marks or money? I think it's an excellent idea to give a presentation about the research, thanks for that :) ... but I'm not so hot about giving marks for participation. Like I wish I could do that, it would probably get us a lot of participants, but I would fear the integrity of the results being skewed.

Yeah I understand your point...but it depends of the sample were you recruit participants...In my opinion, if you recruit students doing a psych degree, they will be more interested since research opportunities are a good complement to their degree. But if you want ppl from other department...emmm...peut etre pourrais tu faire un tirage?? Tu peux dire aux etudiants que s'ils participent ils courent la chance de gagner un prix (par exemple, gift certificate or something like that).

Yeah I understand your point...but it depends of the sample were you recruit participants...In my opinion, if you recruit students doing a psych degree, they will be more interested since research opportunities are a good complement to their degree. But if you want ppl from other department...emmm...peut etre pourrais tu faire un tirage?? Tu peux dire aux etudiants que s'ils participent ils courent la chance de gagner un prix (par exemple, gift certificate or something like that).

Mais, un tirage... qu'est-ce que le prix? un cerveau geant? Just kidding!! Lol. Je pense que je deviens "crazy" lol... C'est un idee creatif, mais... j'ai peur qu'ils pourraient encore etre malhonnete... Aussi, si nous avons trop des etudients, c'est un peut mal parce que les results ne reflect pas the community. Je suis desole... je suis "picky" lol et "critical." Aussi, mon supervisor pense comme moi. Ehh! J'ai oublie que tu aimes la neurologie!! Lol no wonder you responded :D Merci pour les conseils!

Mais, un tirage... qu'est-ce que le prix? un cerveau geant? Just kidding!! Lol. Je pense que je deviens "crazy" lol... C'est un idee creatif, mais... j'ai peur qu'ils pourraient encore etre malhonnete... Aussi, si nous avons trop des etudients, c'est un peut mal parce que les results ne reflect pas the community. Je suis desole... je suis "picky" lol et "critical." Aussi, mon supervisor pense comme moi. Ehh! J'ai oublie que tu aimes la neurologie!! Lol no wonder you responded :D Merci pour les conseils!

loll if you were at concordia I think you would have aced PSYC 310 (research methods in psychology) :P

Pour le tirage, it could be, likeI mentionned, a small prize like a 10$ certificate to a restaurant...not something too fancy, otherwise you could be concerned with the level of interest towards the study...

I understand your concerns, mais garde en tete qu'aucune étude ne peut etre parfaite! You just have to weigh the pros and cons...have many participants but doubt of their authenticity or have less participants (small sample, so less representative of the population) with ''seemingly'' reliable results?

Bonne chance! Let us know when you find a solution :)

Besides the usual putting up posters etc., you could mass-mail whichever postal codes you want to target with a brochure or card about the study (if your budget allows for it!).

Assuming this study has passed through some sort of ethics board approval process, there may already be specific guidelines about what sort of advertising you're allowed to do and what sort of incentives you can/can't offer.

Besides the usual putting up posters etc., you could mass-mail whichever postal codes you want to target with a brochure or card about the study (if your budget allows for it!).

Assuming this study has passed through some sort of ethics board approval process, there may already be specific guidelines about what sort of advertising you're allowed to do and what sort of incentives you can/can't offer.

you got it lol and any changes we do have to go through ethics. Takes a lonnng tine. We cannot mass mail :( are you a clinical researcher?

you got it lol and any changes we do have to go through ethics. Takes a lonnng tine. We cannot mass mail :( are you a clinical researcher?

No, just a procrastinating med student. But I do have some relevant experience (although not so much with the recruiting aspect), so feel free to shoot me a pm.

Quick questions, have you guys established exactly who you're targeting? If you'll be gathering your sample by quota (so its representative of the pop).? Who exactly the "pop" is? What are the selection criteria’s (exclusion / inclusion)? etc.

Quick questions, have you guys established exactly who you're targeting? If you'll be gathering your sample by quota (so its representative of the pop).? Who exactly the "pop" is? What are the selection criteria’s (exclusion / inclusion)? etc.

Yes we have established this :) Won't list those here (I'll PM you), but thanks for giving me more to think about.

ok :) ... also, do you have access to databases like Pubmed?

Since studies usually detail methods, by searching for similar research you could look at the way participants were recruited for inspiration, as well as read the + and - of the method in the discussion section.

Yes we have established this :) Won't list those here (I'll PM you), but thanks for giving me more to think about.

ok :) ... also, do you have access to databases like Pubmed?

Since studies usually detail methods, by searching for similar research you could look at the way participants were recruited for inspiration, as well as read the + and - of the method in the discussion section.

That's a great idea!!! I will definitely do this.

I just want to increase my sample size in the next month, but these are all great suggestions (from everyone). And a great learning process for me. First time doing clinical research. Thanks to everyone who gave advice, it's helped a lot. I definitely have a lot of ideas now to consider tomorrow :D And to propose, thanks so much.

dude, $5 for 2 hours + blood collection is really weak...

For my study, we are entering all participants into a draw to win an iPod. I've seen some people do this with iPad's as well. If the money is there, it can be a good way to recruit people.

I've done some clinical research (neuropsych). We used craigslist to recruit controls and that worked well. Compensation was $50 however, so quite a bit more. Otherwise, like everyone else has said, try to gain access to the psychology experiments database...since students get course credit anyways, $5 will just be additional motivation :)

I appreciate the input, those are some creative ideas! But not entirely relevant for my study. We are already halfway in the second phase of our study. For our specific purposes, it's too late to start giving more money to participants (ethics board, courtesy for previous participants, etc.). And we do have quite a decent sample size already, especially because I am from smaller city... But it's just not possible for us. I feel like such a

for saying that.

By far, the best way to recruit participants so far has been to give little presentations about the research and then ask individuals who are interested to put their contact info on a sign up sheet. Osteon and CaptainCrunchMan, have you done that before?

I also understand that for me to get a perfect answer on here, you'd have to know more about my research and I'm reluctant to provide it. It's sort of a trade-off I have to deal with for creating this thread. But I've gathered some useful info! Some which is entirely relevant to the study. So thanks for all the wonderful ideas.

Archived