Premed 101 Forums

Help! How do I recruit research participants?

Cerena

Unfortunately, I cannot think of any suggestions that haven't been added here so far. I think the draw idea is good if it is 'legal'...I guess if you aren't charging people for the draw then you don't need any specific permission to hold it, but be careful of contesting/sweepstakes rules in Canada (there are some people who take that stuff super seriously).

Is there some way you could advertise through the local health unit to access a larger segment of the population?

The $5 compensation isn't very good for the time required. At that point, either you do it or you don't--the amount of money isn't the difference maker. I remember a study where all you had to do was donate blood because they needed to collect fresh EPCs and paid $20 just for a few vials of blood and <20 mins of your time. That was a decent but not great motivator for most people (I took advantage of it, but you could only participate a limited number of times).

Good luck!!

Unfortunately, I cannot think of any suggestions that haven't been added here so far. I think the draw idea is good if it is 'legal'...I guess if you aren't charging people for the draw then you don't need any specific permission to hold it, but be careful of contesting/sweepstakes rules in Canada (there are some people who take that stuff super seriously).

Is there some way you could advertise through the local health unit to access a larger segment of the population?

The $5 compensation isn't very good for the time required. At that point, either you do it or you don't--the amount of money isn't the difference maker. I remember a study where all you had to do was donate blood because they needed to collect fresh EPCs and paid $20 just for a few vials of blood and <20 mins of your time. That was a decent but not great motivator for most people (I took advantage of it, but you could only participate a limited number of times).

Good luck!!

Okay, see the part I bolded??! That is exactly what I need! Augh, I should have said this in the first place. I am trying to think of ways to reach more people, like advertising! And I think your suggestion is a really good one. Thanks :D Specifically, who to contact? What places would be most suited to try and find potential participants? That sort of thing.

The title says it all. I have tried putting up posters, mass emails... any feedback would be appreciated.

P.S. I realize I wrote "get recruit research participants" and that doesn't make sense. But I don't know how to edit thread titles. Sorry! It should be called "How do I recruit research participants?" I submitted before I realized the mistake.

Easy.

Step 1: Throw a kegger.

Step 2: Get people hammed.

Step 3: Get above people to sign some legally binding recruitment forms.

Step 4: Make some mad cash from the kegger.

The title says it all. I have tried putting up posters, mass emails... any feedback would be appreciated.

P.S. I realize I wrote "get recruit research participants" and that doesn't make sense. But I don't know how to edit thread titles. Sorry! It should be called "How do I recruit research participants?" I submitted before I realized the mistake.

lol, title fail.

I fixed it for you though. ♥

I think the draw idea is good if it is 'legal'...I guess if you aren't charging people for the draw then you don't need any specific permission to hold it, but be careful of contesting/sweepstakes rules in Canada

Draws are legal. Radio stations have draws pretty much every week; there are often draws at events and sports games too. The only thing illegal is to say there's a draw and then you don't actually have one. Plus if you get it approved by the university's ethics board you're golden.

Yes I've recruited by giving presentations in random classrooms, but the yield is not always the best. It depends on the sample you're looking for. For just a general healthy sample it works well. For clinical populations it's almost useless unless you find a group of your ideal sample all in one room. For my clinical sample, I'm recruiting directly from physician offices.

Archived