Premed 101 Forums

Buying a car?

premed89

That's my only issue with VWs or any german cars.. it sounds like it costs a lot to fix.... I'll probably lean towards a toyota or honda since they seem to last for years and years.. I guess I just need something that will get me through and shouldn't give me too many problems...

I'm still trying to figure out a price range though.. hard to spend less and not splurge since you know you will be coming out making a decent amount of money :P

That's why you should only buy one under warranty. Which I did today. :)

My insurance is under $1000 per year and I fully plan on keeping the car only so long as I need it. If I can make due without it, all the better, but I paid a little more for an '07 Golf so that I'll be able to sell it once the warranty is up and not due too badly.

All in all, I'd be happier without one but it's a necessarily evil at this point.

One thing that no one has mentioned yet is that in Ontario you would have to report that vehicle on your OSAP loan and if it costs more than 5000 (and you want a car that is worth more than that so it actually won't break down at bad times) it will wind up costing you a lot - the grant amount you get will take a big hit and that is literally free money you don't want to throw away :)

As a result a lot of people actually do lease because when you do the math it is cheaper than owning. Of course the car then would also likely be newer which helps as well (costs are also generally known and more fixed). You can also upgrade the vehicle at residency if you would like.

Also in terms of dealers - they really want to meet med students as they would be huge future business. Bottom line is you have more power in the negotiation than you might think.

Archived