Premed 101 Forums

Family Medicine - Hospitalist?

e_is_hv

so for a 2+1 hospitalist, will they have the opportunity to work in a big hospital in toronto? or is it like the 2 + 1 ER situation where you would only be able to work in the more remote areas?

I don't know of any 2+1 hospitalists that work at the large teaching hospitals in Toronto, but there are some at smaller hospitals like TEGH or Toronto Rehab.

I also know of several 2+1 ER docs who work at big teaching hospitals in Toronto, so it is doable.

I guess what I was wondering is if you can still live in Toronto proper and be able to find a 2+1 hospitalist job within reasonable driving distance.

Ugh! I've heard people tell me "no way in hell you can get a job in the ER" in a big city w/out the 5 year emerg, and then I hear people working there with a CCFP ER. I guess this is what you get out of anecdotes.

There are 3 years working in every Metro Vancouver hosp. except for VGH, and including trauma receiving hospitals. There are even GPs (without even CCFP certs) working in the community hospitals in the suburbs. I'm sure Toronto is no different.

I guess what I was wondering is if you can still live in Toronto proper and be able to find a 2+1 hospitalist job within reasonable driving distance.

Ugh! I've heard people tell me "no way in hell you can get a job in the ER" in a big city w/out the 5 year emerg, and then I hear people working there with a CCFP ER. I guess this is what you get out of anecdotes.

Like everything else, it depends. As far as emergency medicine goes, apparently Credit Valley and TEGH are hiring 2+1s. NYGH is saturated, but as recently as a couple of years ago hired a 2+0 doc (she was kind of a special case, I think you'd need at least a 2+1 to get hired there now). There are 2+1s working at SHSC and SMH but all of the recent hires there are FRCPC docs. With the increase in the number of 5-year residency positions I can't see either SHSC or SMH hiring a 2+1 any time soon.

UHN has a mix, and has recently hired a bunch of FR docs -- they could also have recently hired 2+1s but I wouldn't know. Sinai will always have 2+1s, as it is the home site for Toronto's CCFP-EM program.

The other suburban hospitals are likely amenable to 2+1s. Some of them have a lot of vacancies for very good reasons (not happy working environments, just based on random bits of gossip I've heard but won't repeat either here or in pm)

So glad I don't have to worry about all this stuff for a few more years...

• 6 months later...

I have fairly limited experience with this, but in Halifax (at the QEII) and Dartmouth, GP hospitalists look after patients with one or two major diagnoses, generally with lower acuity than CTU patients. At Dartmouth General, though, GPs act as the primary attending physicians with internists acting strictly in a consultant role. The QEII has a GP-run Community Health Unit.

I'm doing an elective at Vancouver General right now and they have a "subacute" medicine floor with less complex and/or chronic patients, though they may have significant comordibities of course (e.g. hemodialysis for ESRD).

Most hospitalists currently working across Canada who are family medicine trained have no +1. I had spoken to one of the heads of Internal Medicine at U of T about the +1 option for hospitalist for family medicine, and he didn't have a positive impression of the rigour of the program. Granted, this was a few years ago and from a biased perspective, so I'd suggest if you are looking specifically at this program, try to contact residents who have passed through it.

I'm not a med student/resident, but my dad is an orthopaedic hospitalist at the U of A. He gets paid hourly, plus billings. The billings are not added into a pot and then split up, so I do believe there is an incentive to see more people.

Thanks for the input. However we're more talking about medical/ family medicine hospitalist, not surgical staff.

• 2 weeks later...
I know one who works in Oakville, and generally she functions as an internist at the hospital she works at. I assume it would be different in an academic hospital, but I havent really run into one there.

The ones I've seen in academic hospitals are basically in charge of people too sick not to be in hospital but not sick enough for other wards (CCU, MTU etc...), seems like a good situation for everyone.

Archived