Premed 101 Forums

SickKids Research or NSERC USRA?

relaxer12

Hi guys,

So now I am faced with a dilemma...

I have just applied for NSERC USRA for a biochemistry lab at my school (and the prof agreed to take me). At the same time, I received an interview invite to Sick Kids for clinical research (on preferred treatment options by physicians/parents). Choosing either will mean I will work/volunteer full-time during the summer.

My previous research experience includes helping out with an ecology project over one summer, and an 8-month co-op work term at UHN. My only other clinical experience was with a local clinic for 4 months a year ago. I know some med schools are looking for diversity of experience, while others are looking for commitment...To show the former, I should probably choose SickKids, but for the latter I should probably choose NSERC?

Which one should I choose?

Any input is welcome.

Thanks.

Hi guys,

So now I am faced with a dilemma...

I have just applied for NSERC USRA for a biochemistry lab at my school (and the prof agreed to take me). At the same time, I received an interview invite to Sick Kids for clinical research (on preferred treatment options by physicians/parents). Choosing either will mean I will work/volunteer full-time during the summer.

My previous research experience includes helping out with an ecology project over one summer, and an 8-month co-op work term at UHN. My only other clinical experience was with a local clinic for 4 months a year ago. I know some med schools are looking for diversity of experience, while others are looking for commitment...To show the former, I should probably choose SickKids, but for the latter I should probably choose NSERC?

Which one should I choose?

Any input is welcome.

Thanks.

Imho, clinical experience is always the wiser choice. That being said, if I were you I would make my decision based on which project has the greater potential for getting your name on a paper. Either of these publishable according to the PIs? If only one is and the other isn't, then definitely go with the one where you'll get a pub.

Consider $$$ as well...would you be getting paid for the SickKids project?

Anyway, just things to think about. I'm sure others will chime in. Good job on getting yourself options though!

Imho, clinical experience is always the wiser choice. That being said, if I were you I would make my decision based on which project has the greater potential for getting your name on a paper. Either of these publishable according to the PIs? If only one is and the other isn't, then definitely go with the one where you'll get a pub.

Consider $$$ as well...would you be getting paid for the SickKids project?

Anyway, just things to think about. I'm sure others will chime in. Good job on getting yourself options though!

No I won't get paid at SickKids.

About publication...I'm not sure. Assuming neither is going to get a publication, and pay is not really my primary concern, which one then?

I remember someone said NSERC is big deal, and it really looks good on the applications? Though working at SickKids does seem more fun. Then again "fun" is not my primary concern. The one that will look better on the app is definitely what I will choose. But then again, which one is better?...

About publication...I'm not sure. Assuming neither is going to get a publication, and pay is not really my primary concern, which one then?

I remember someone said NSERC is big deal, and it really looks good on the applications? Though working at SickKids does seem more fun. Then again "fun" is not my primary concern. The one that will look better on the app is definitely what I will choose. But then again, which one is better?...

In that case I'd say clinical experience with a pub (note: a publication being the key) would probably be "better". That said, let's hear what others say.

Clinical research is amazing. It really does open doors. I'm getting published for the research I'm doing now and just found out the news that I'll be involved in a second research project with the same physician, the next project being more clinically involved then the first. It's awesome. And it's another chance at getting published. I wasn't expecting a publication at all at first, but they are sort of flying at me now lol. And it is really sparking my interest in the field of medicine the physician I work for (and shadow) is specialized in. And I'm pretty sure the LOR is going to be pretty fantastic, we get along really well. If I were you, I would go for what you are most interested in though. Do you want to be a biochemist or a doctor? I jumped at the chance to do clinical work, didn't even bother with the NSERC. If the adcoms ever ask me about my research, I know I chose what I love to do and I have gained so much from it. But then again, i'm grateful for the biochem research I did wayyy back... it showed me I definitely DO NOT want to do a research in biochemistry... EVER! Lol. I love medicine.

Just my input :)

Ohhh ohh, you talked about diversity right? Well, I have a LOT of extracurriculars and I needed to explore clinical opportunities more. It was something missing from my application. What other extra curriculars are you involved in?

Clinical research is amazing. It really does open doors. I'm getting published for the research I'm doing now and just found out the news that I'll be involved in a second research project with the same physician, the next project being more clinically involved then the first. It's awesome. And it's another chance at getting published. I wasn't expecting a publication at all at first, but they are sort of flying at me now lol. And it is really sparking my interest in the field of medicine the physician I work for (and shadow) is specialized in. And I'm pretty sure the LOR is going to be pretty fantastic, we get along really well. If I were you, I would go for what you are most interested in though. Do you want to be a biochemist or a doctor? I jumped at the chance to do clinical work, didn't even bother with the NSERC. If the adcoms ever ask me about my research, I know I chose what I love to do and I have gained so much from it. But then again, i'm grateful for the biochem research I did wayyy back... it showed me I definitely DO NOT want to do a research in biochemistry... EVER! Lol.

Just my input :)

Good point! I guess the only reason I am still wavering right now is because I thought someone say NSERC is a big deal and it really boosts one's application compared to all other types of research. I guess that's not true then?

NSERC is a pretty big deal if you're interested in continuing in science or engineering, but I'm not sure that it makes a difference for medical schools compared to what you might end up doing at SickKids. However, SickKids does some good research and if after some self-reflection and maybe asking a few more questions, you really think that you'd enjoy your time at SickKids more, then go for that. If you do something that you enjoy, you'll naturally put more effort into it and do a better job at it. The experience that looks best on your application is the one that you're the most passionate about, one that will really get you perked up and telling your story when they ask you about it during the interview.

Edit: also listen to this guy, he went to Harvard.

NSERC is a pretty big deal if you're interested in continuing in science or engineering, but I'm not sure that it makes a difference for medical schools compared to what you might end up doing at SickKids. However, SickKids does some good research and if after some self-reflection and maybe asking a few more questions, you really think that you'd enjoy your time at SickKids more, then go for that. If you do something that you enjoy, you'll naturally put more effort into it and do a better job at it. The experience that looks best on your application is the one that you're the most passionate about, one that will really get you perked up and telling your story when they ask you about it during the interview.

Edit: also listen to this guy, he went to Harvard.

+1! And by the way, I always watch the premed show. And talk to Sean on skype. He is great.

Ohhh ohh, you talked about diversity right? Well, I have a LOT of extracurriculars and I needed to explore clinical opportunities more. It was something missing from my application. What other extra curriculars are you involved in?

Just bits and pieces accumulated through the undergrad years.

The only stuff that I've been actively engaged in on a consistent and regular basis are sports and plastic modelling. But those are not affiliated with clubs or schools or any big organizations. Those are just my hobbies and I do them for fun, so I never thought of making a club or anything.

I've done some clinical stuff just like I mentioned with a local clinic, co-op research at UHN, then volunteer researcher with an ecology lab. But none of them were longer than 8 months.

Archived